National ranking joy for Norwich youngster Monica Raviraj
- Credit: Submitted
Norwich tennis prospect Monica Raviraj has moved up to sixth in the national rankings for the 14-and-under age group.
The 13-year-old Norwich School pupil, from Catton, made the most of her Easter holidays with a busy schedule of competitions.
Her successes have earned her a wildcard entry into the ITF (International Tennis Federation) 18U Nike Junior Championships in Nottingham this week, which will bring Monica her first international ranking.
The success began at the East Anglia Junior Open at East Anglia Tennis and Squash Club in Norwich. There she won the 16U, 18U and women's open singles titles, beating Frances Evans 6-2 6-1 in the final of the latter, as well as the 18U doubles alongside Rosie Pooley, beating Emily Barrett and Vianne Palffy 6-1 7-6(6).
Monica travelled to Nottingham as soon as she finished in Norwich for the Notts Junior Open, winning her first round matches in the 16U singles before losing in the round of 16 to a strong 17-year-old.
You may also want to watch:
She made it through to the 14U singles semi-finals, before losing to the number one seeded girl under tough outdoor weather conditions. Monica and her partner were also beaten in the 14U doubles final.
The Young Norfolk Sports Academy member then represented Great Britain in the Nike Junior Tennis Europe Championship in Nottingham and reached the 14U singles quarter-final, where she lost 7-5 7-6 to a Russian girl.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 5 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 6 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 7 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 8 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 9 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
In the doubles event Monica and her British partner reached the final but lost to the number one seeds in a third set tie-break.