National League North: Brackley Town 2 Lowestoft Town 2
- Credit: Ian Wadkins/Focus Images Limited
Super-sub Chris Henderson salvaged a point for Lowestoft Town in a lively encounter at Brackley last night.
It looked like the Blues would suffer defeat in the Vanarama National League North clash as Steve Diggin's first-half double put the home side 2-1 up.
But Henderson rose highest at a corner with just eight minutes to go to give his side a share of the spoils.
He may even have won it for the Blues as he clipped the ball agonisingly wide when one-on-one with Brackley goalkeeper Dan Crane.
It was one of a number of chances missed by the Blues, who have now failed to win any of their past eight league games, after winning their first two.
You may also want to watch:
Jake Reed, who scored Lowestoft's first goal, and Ryan Jarvis both had opportunities to put their team in command, but they found Crane in fine form.
Overall though, it was a positive response to Saturday's 3-1 defeat at Stalybridge Celtic and a platform to build on ahead of this weekend's home clash with Chorley.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 6 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 7 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
- 8 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 9 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
- 10 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
It looked like it could be a long night for the Blues after Diggin poked Brackley ahead from a Sam Smith knock-down, but the away team were quick to show their character.
Jarvis diverted Daniel Crow's free-kick on target, but Crane made a smart save.
And the goalkeeper was called into action again soon after as Jarvis's fine break and cross found Reed, who headed straight at the stopper.
The home side's resistance was eventually broken by Reed as he reacted quickly after Crow's skidding drive had been parried by Crane.
Brackley almost regained the lead when David Moyo had his shot deflected narrowly wide, and the same man just failed to get enough contact on another effort soon after.
In an end-to-end encounter, Jarvis steered Erkan Okay's centre straight at Crane before Reed missed a golden chance, nudging wide after controlling the ball in the box.
But it was to be Brackley who went in at half-time ahead as the influential Diggin reacted quickest when a Smith header fell his way in the box.
The open nature of the encounter continued into the second half, with Daniel Burns heading straight at Crane from a free-kick.
Joe Marsden then got forward well from left-back only to see his effort blocked at the last before Greg Kaziboni fired wide at the other end after showing good determination.
And Brackley were to be stung late on as Henderson headed home a deserved leveller for Lowestoft.
Lowestoft starting line-up: Garnham, Ainsley, Marsden, Rossi Jarvis, Burns, Nunn, Ryan Jarvis, Okay, Reed, Crow, Gleeson