National fours championship success for Lamb’s rink
A superb performance by the Norfolk mixed fours champions gave them the English National Mixed Fours Championship title in Kempston.
Jenny Walker of Haddiscoe, Jean Woods of Bob Carter, Jon Sparham of Hempnall and David Lamb of Halvergate beat a strong Essex rink, skipped by former England singles champion Barry Hedges, in the final.
The Norfolk rink, skipped by England international Lamb, made a great start, cruising into a 7-0 lead. A late recovery saw Hedges' rink reduce the deficit to 8-5 with one end remaining.
The Essex skip had a chance to level the match and force an extra end but failed to force the jack back to where he had two bowls waiting and the one shot he did score left Lamb's rink celebrating their first national championship title with an 8-6 win.
ESMBA chairman Chris Hopkins was full of praise for the Norfolk winners and he highlighted Jenny Walker's perfect performance from the lead position as a vital ingredient in the victory as she put Essex under pressure throughout.
You may also want to watch:
Since emerging as one of Norfolk's brightest stars Lamb has earned a place in the England squad as well as capturing a British Isles A Team Fours title.
The man known to his Norfolk team-mates as 'The Wizard' wove his magic in the Bure League singles championship finals to win the title for the fourth time.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 3 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 4 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 5 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 8 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 9 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 10 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
East Tuddenham's former England star John Turner delved into his book of spells to defeat Hevingham's Vic Woods 10-5 in a fascinating final at Horsford BC.
Kirby Bedon's Shirley Brown, Brian Saunders and Joe Brown won the Bure Triples Championship at Coltishall after a 5-2 final win against Gill Bunn, Marjorie Hall and George Clarke of Hevingham.