Norfolk veterans clinch national indoor crown
- Credit: Archant
Defending champions Norfolk defeated Surrey 105-97 to win the Over 60s team title at the National Indoor Bowls Championship finals in Melton Mowbray.
But it was a close run thing on all six rinks, with Norfolk tightening their grip only over the last few ends.
After the exertions – and noise – of the national fours and triples championships, which are open to all ages, this might have been a bit more sedate, but, make no mistake, this was as competitive a fixture as they come.
Norfolk fielded such luminaries as Acle's Tony Dunton, who appeared in the very first world indoor championships in Coatbridge in 1979, John Ottaway, who has won the English outdoor singles title three times, and Brian Taylor, who played for England in 1978.
Surrey led mid-game, but Norfolk turned on the style on the run-in, and, in the end, won on four rinks (skipped by Roger Barnbrook, Charlie Boon, Tony Dunton and Brian Taylor), while Surrey returned winning cards on two.
Rink scores (Norfolk names first): John Colcombe, Geoff Ramsbottom, John Ottaway, Tony Dunton 15; Ted Barlow, Norman Pervoe, Steve Shanley, John Sussex 13; Rocky Lewis, Roger Saxon, Vic Moore, Mike King 15; Hardev Dhillon, Jim Scott, Chris Ions, Steve Fortescue 17; Phil Long, Keith Whitehead, Ivan Borrett, Charlie Boon 17; Mick Gray, Tom Searle, Alan Binns, Chris Cranham 14; Andy Sayer, Bernie Wymer, David Perry, Roger Barnbrook 19; Richard Wooster, Peter Dixon, John Guinnard, Martin Tuck 15; Clive Derry, Malcolm Nicholson, Bryan Sadler, Brian Taylor 19; Arnie Lewis, Ricky Long, John Graham, Ian Ross 17; Malcolm French, Garry Oakley, Gary Goodrum, Peter Hurren 20; Robert Wharf, Julian Astill, Mike Lambert, Paul Vamvacopoulos 21.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 7 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 8 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 9 Countryfile to highlight controversial Norfolk road scheme
- 10 Hotel landlord admits threatening man with axe