Nathan Dale heading for St Andrew’s and a rare world title fight in Norwich
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Boxing in Norwich has a new venue – but will it have a new world champion?
Nathan Dale heads a star-studded local cast when the ring moves under the ancient arches at St Andrews Hall next month.
Local shows have been staged at the former Norwich Sports Village, the Norfolk Showground, the old Anglia TV studios in Magdalen Street and a couple of nightclubs - and have now moved right into the heart of the city.
'Whilst our last show in Norwich was at the Mercy Night Club, which was great for the smaller shows, we are expecting a larger than normal crowd for this event and have therefore moved it to The Halls as it provides the perfect venue this time around,' said promoter Mervyn Turner.
'Historically, The Halls have played host to boxing events in the past and provides a fantastic venue with tiered seating for great viewing, good ringside seating and tables. Given the type of building the atmosphere will be unbelievable, making it a night to remember for both the fans and the boxers.'
You may also want to watch:
The man charged with putting the smiles on fans' faces is Dale, who is going for the WBO Junior World title. An opponent is expected to be named within the next seven to 10 days.
'We have tried hard over the Christmas break to secure an opponent for the vacant title, but unfortunately as yet have not been able to agree term, but we hope that this will be resolve soon,' said Turner.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
Dale, 23, will be hoping to win the city's first world title fight since 2005, when Jon Thaxton won the World Boxing Foundation's world lightweight title against Christophe De Busillet.
The St Andrew's undercard includes the Everett-trained Billy 'Boy' Bird, from Sudbury, going for the British Masters light-middleweight title.
The fight night is on February 13. Call 07933 750010 for details or go to www.shamrockboxing.co.uk.