Nathan aims to check out a professional darts future
A Gorleston darts player hopes to turn professional this year and join the others on the nationwide circuit, following an impressive local victory at the weekend.
Nathan Derry, 25, rose above the 32 able contestants to win the darts tournament at the Kings Head in Lingwood at the weekend.
He was unknown at this venue until this spectacular win. Nathan has however had great success in competitions held in the Yarmouth and Gorleston area. A few months ago he won the prestigious 'East Coast Open' held at Walcot.
Nathan has a place booked at the Qualifying Darts School weekend held at Wigan Sports Complex where he hopes to qualify as a professional darts player and join the Pro Darts Corporation tour.
Asked if he had custom-made darts he said: 'I have especially made long points as they help the balance and prevent the dart from obscuring a small target like the high value treble 20.'
You may also want to watch:
Adam Oxbury, who runs the Kings Head darts tournaments said: 'We have had a very successful event yet again today and distributed all the entrants' fees, amounting to �160 in prizes.'
Jack Holmes, 15, who won the last 'Lingwood Open,' came in second place in this competition but remains a prospective star of the future due to his awesome skill at a very young age.
- 1 Man jailed for seven years over coercive behaviour which left victim 'shattered'
- 2 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 3 Major boost for £100m campaign to reintroduce rail travel between two Norfolk towns
- 4 Six new coronavirus deaths confirmed at Norfolk hospital
- 5 Flood alerts in place across Norfolk
- 6 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 7 Fears loss of Arcadia group could have significant impact on Norfolk high streets
- 8 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 9 Seafront flats plan set for go ahead
- 10 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village
Linda Simmons, chairperson of Norfolk County Darts Organisation presented the prizes while Adam made the announcements of the succession of category winners.
Adam announced that the next tournament will be at the same venue in about three month's time.