Mollie Patterson in fine form for England at Spanish Youth Open
- Credit: Archant
Mollie Patterson was one of England's best performers at the Spanish Youth Open.
The 14-year-old, from Brancaster Staithe, playing alongside Charlotte Bardsley and Megan Gidney, helped England to win their group in the team competition by winning her individual matches against both Spain C and a Norway-India combined team. However, England found France A too strong in the quarter-finals and were beaten 3-0 as their opponents went on to win silver.
In the Cadet Singles, Patterson qualified for the knockout stage by finishing second in her group thanks to a 3-0 (12-10, 11-9, 11-9) win over Claudia Perez of the host nation.
Having received a bye in the last 64, she was beaten in the last 32 by Russia's Natalia Malinina, who won 3-1 (12-10, 11-7, 8-11, 11-4).
In the doubles, Patterson & Gidney beat Ines Batista & Silvia Santos of Portugal 3-0 (11-7, 11-4, 11-9) in the first round. But they ran into top seeds Elizabet Abraamian Ekaterina Zironova of Russia in the last 16 and were defeated 3-0 (11-7, 11-5, 11-8) by opponents who went on to win the competition.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Sisters reopen popular riverside pub