Miles are order of the day for Godric Cycling Club riders
The diamond jubilee dinner of Godric Cycling Club of Bungay was an occasion to remember.
Miles were much in mind. Guest of Honour was round-the-world racing man Richard Dunnett – that's 18,000 miles in just one event – while Master of Ceremonies was newly-elected club chairman Geoff Mayne, whose latest total of recorded miles on his bike is 463,534 which – judging by the bike and cycling clothes in the changing room – were due to be added to before the night was out.
Mayne is a retired schoolteacher, and taking the lion's share of the 2012 racing awards was a former pupil of his, James Trenchard, now himself a teacher, who has returned to racing and is getting very close to beating the times he set when club junior champion in 1991.
Dave Hatcher was presented with a salver in recognition of his long service as club secretary as well as the award for Best Club Member of 2012. Margaret Sheppard's long service – most recently as dinner organiser – earned the Gong Trophy, Peter Gosling's end-to-end was voted Most Meritorious Ride and the Banham veteran's trophy went to Jim Caplin.
• The North Norfolk Wheelers had a superb turn-out of just over 100 riders, including a good number of women, for their 100km reliability ride. Participants were lucky to get the hardest part over first – a ride into a strong headwind to Docking, which included most of the 1,000 metres of climbing in the whole route.
You may also want to watch:
• The Eastern Cyclo-Cross league rounded off the season with a fun team event at Colchester followed by their award presentation. Iceni Velo took several trophies including the Ivan Jeckell Memorial Cup for top club overall.
Their members also took the Senior League (Tim Guy), the Veteran's League (Phil Buick) and younger members near the top of the tables included Dougal Toms (second Youth), Cameron Toms (third Junior) and Angus Toms (third Under-12). Anna Buick (Moda Bike Magic) won the Women's League and Sophie Holmes (Inverse RT) the Under 14 Girls.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
Seniors: 1 Tim Guy (Iceni Velo) 379 pts, 2 H Wood (Unattached) 373, 3 G Doroghazi (Fruit 4 London), 5 J Swindells (Great Yarmouth CC) 336, 8 N Stevens (Pedal Revolution) 305
Elite Veterans: 1 Martin Carter 388, 2 I Burch (Ciclos Uno) 350, 3 D Copland (Ipswich BC) 343, 6 I Newby (Diss CC) 319, 8 P Stokes 314
Veterans: 1 Phil Buick (Iceni Velo) 391, 2 M Bowen (West Suffolk Whs) 379, 3 I Robson (MTS) 380
Women: 1 Anna Buick (Moda Bike Magic) 400, 2 E Johnson (XRT) 382, 3 J Williams (Ipswich Tri) 273
Juniors: 1 Sean Dunlea (Ciclos Uno) 400, 2 T Doncaster (CC Ashwell) 388, 3 C Toms (Iceni Velo) 367
Youth: 1 Matt Clements (Lee Valley Youth) 400, 2 D Toms (Iceni Velo) 385, 3 C Mackie (LVYCC) 342, 8 H Periam (CC Breckland) 298. 20 (1st Girl) Sophie Holmes (Inverse RT) 236
U12: 1 Aaron Freeman (Chelmer CC) 397, 2 W Davies (Welwyn Whs) 385, 3 A Toms (Iceni Velo) 348