Mike Tyson agrees to Norfolk visit at Ocean Rooms in Gorleston
Businessman Carl Moore says he has realised a dream after announcing that former world boxing champion Mike Tyson is to make a public appearance in Norfolk.
Moore is sponsoring and, with EBF Boxing, jointly promoting a visit by the American on October 12, when he will speak at a dinner engagement at the Ocean Rooms in Gorleston – the final event of a mini UK tour.
'This really is a dream come true,' said Moore.
'Mike Tyson is one of the very biggest names in the history of boxing – and he has an amazing story to tell from his childhood, his early days in the sport, his fights and his problems outside of the ring. It is fascinating.'
Moore has travelled the world to watch big fight nights, including numerous world title clashes involving Tyson and has met the man himself on a couple of occasions.
You may also want to watch:
'I found him extremely polite and pleasant,' said Moore, who is a well known Norwich City fan and assisted in the transfer of Darren Huckerby – who will be at the Tyson dinner as a VIP guest – to the Canaries in 2003.
'I was surprised – people get the wrong idea about him because he was an intelligent talker.'
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 7 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 8 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 9 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 10 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
Moore has backed boxing locally, helping lure Norwich favourite Jon Thaxton out of retirement in February 2005 and also supporting city heavyweight Sam Sexton.
Tyson, 46, retired in 2006 having been a former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world and the youngest man – at the age of 20, to win the WBC, WBA and IBF heavyweight crowns. He is now a motivational speaker and is currently touring Australia and New Zealand with his one-man show.
'He was one of the most stunning fighters ever,' said Moore, who runs Diss-based telecommunications company Moco Ltd.
Tickets for the event are priced at �100, �125, �150 and �200 (VIP) and are available – on a first come first served basis – by calling 07919 026341.