Mexico the prize for Norfolk aces in Virgin Atlantic PGA National Championship
A trip to a stunning Mexican beach resort is in store for two Norfolk amateurs and their clubs' professionals if they can come through the regional final of Europe's biggest pro-am competition, the Virgin Atlantic PGA National Championship.
Matthew Craske and Mundesley professional Ryan Pudney and Thetford's Matt Wabe and pro Gary Kitley took a first big step towards a luxury trip to the grand final at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort in Cancun between December 4-8 when they won the club qualifying competitions with nett scores of 64 and 65.
Five-handicapper Craske, 25, and Pudney now advance to Coxmoor Golf Club on Wednesday, June 27, for one of 16 regional finals, while Wabe, a 24-year-old teacher from Thetford, and Kitley, 43, the professional at Thetford for 17 years, will play at King's Lynn Golf Club on Monday, July 16, where they will play one round of better-ball medal play.
The winners at each regional final will secure their place on board a Virgin Atlantic jet for the 36-hole Grand Final being staged at the Jack Nicklaus-designed course at the tropical resort.
The tournament, which is supported by SkyCaddie and BMW, draws in more than 50,000 competitors from across Great Britain and Ireland and is now its 28th competitive year.
You may also want to watch:
The award-winning Virgin Atlantic long haul airline is sponsoring the event for the fourth successive year and the Mexican resort is one of three new routes for Virgin Atlantic who now fly golfers to 35 of the world's most celebrated golf destinations.
The PGA National Pro-Am has a prize fund of �30,000, with the winning professional at the Grand Final taking home a cheque for �5,000.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer