Men’s East League: Harleston Magpies have to settle for point after late equaliser

Harleston Magpies followed up their opening day victory in the Premier A Division with a 2-2 draw at West Herts, who scored a late equaliser to grab a share of the spoils.

The Watford side had more of the play in the early exchanges but failed to convert any of their chances and the deadlock was broken with a goal from man of the match Jimmy Wheeler, who was first to react when the ball came off the keeper's pads.

The second half started with West Herts drawing level with a well finished goal from a tight angle through Leonard's pads.

Tempers flared in the next 15 minutes with both sides receiving cautions. Stuart Leate then miss- timed a tackle and spent five minutes on the sidelines.

Magpies dealt with the numerical disadvantage well and their second goal came from a penalty corner won by some good play down the left from Andrew Bedwell and Simon Hipwell. The ball was played to the back post and fell to Wheeler who spun and slotted the ball past the keeper.

With 10 minutes to go Magpies looked likely to take the points but another turnover led to a West Herts equaliser.

Also in Premier A a brilliant double from Mike Timm helped Dereham battle back from a two-goal deficit to earn a valuable away point at newly promoted Blueharts.

Most Read

It was a point that the visiting team fully deserved, but it could have been more had Dereham scored from any one of their 12 penalty corners.

Dereham travelled to Hitchin determined to build on the opening day victory over Bishop's Stortford but went behind after just five minutes when a speculative pass into the circle resulted in close range tap-in. The visitors found themselves further behind when a powerful cross from the left was brilliantly volleyed into the net by a Blueharts attacker.

Dereham's chances suffered a huge blow after the break when influential midfielder Andy Lawrence was shown a yellow card for dissent, resulting in ten minutes in the sin bin.

But despite being down to 10 men, Dereham continued to press and finally got their reward when Timm beat two defenders down the right before drilling a powerful shot through the legs of the keeper.

With his side still down to 10 men Timm then netted his second goal in dazzling fashion, moving down the right before lashing home a ferocious reverse stick shot.

Efforts from Will Edwards and Matt Stainthorpe were then both thwarted by superb last ditch tackles as Dereham went for the win.

Norwich City secured their second successive draw in Premier B and were once again disappointed not to have come away with all three points. Playing at City of Peterborough III City found themselves behind after four minutes when the home team converted their first short corner with a drag flick.

City tightened up their defence and started to build attacks of their own initiated by the hard working midfield. Rotating the squad of 16 players City were able to maintain the momentum but the chances that were created were squandered. The City defence were forced to deal with breakaways and Tom Franks in the goal was called upon to make some vital saves.

After the break City drew level when Nick Jones converted a penalty stroke awarded when Charlie Horn was fouled in the circle.

Also in Premier B Harleston Magpies II lost 2-1 at home to Wisbech.

In Division 2N Norwich Dragons had high hopes of building on their 7-0 win from the previous week but were beaten 3-1 at Pelicans.

Despite being on the back foot for the first 10 minutes Dragons were unlucky when their first penalty corner strike was deflected into the roof of the net, but was disallowed.

Dragons continued to defend, conceding a number of corners and it was from one of these that Pelicans scored with a well taken drag flick. Pelicans then scored their second from a broken down corner, the follow-up strike being deflected in.

After a strong team talk at half-time Dragons picked up the pace and started to pose more of a threat. They pulled a goal back when Garnett Jones' forceful cross was deflected by a Pelicans defender into his own net.

Dragons continued to push forward with the Pelicans keeper pulling off a fine save to deflect Rupert Snelling's drag flicked corner on to the post. Dragons were finally undone when a long pass from Pelicans into the circle was deflected in.

Dragons' man of the match was Robbie Whiting.

There was a Norwich City derby in Division 3NE, with City III beating their second team 3-1. Adie Land, Matthew Brine and Jack Ingham scored for the thirds, with Felix Broadway replying.

In the same section Holt Harlequins came from two goals down to beat North Walsham 3-2 thanks to goals from Ben Plumb, Tom Nichols and Charlie Mann.

Despite a heroic performance by top scorer Jason Snook Dereham III ended up on the wrong end of a nine- goal thriller at Ipswich and East Suffolk III in Division 4NE.

Snook fired in to give Dereham a lead that was quickly pegged back. Another fine strike from Andy Dear was also equalised to make it 2-2 at the break. The game looked won with further goals from Gareth Wilton and Snook but it wasn't to be.

Norwich City IV beat Sudbury III 3-2 with Tim Crane scoring a late winner. Luke de Pear Brown and Tim Armstrong were also on target.

Also in Division 4NE Norwich Dragons II beat Thetford Town 2-0.

Andy Kelsall found the back of the net with a first time shot from a cross. Dragons continued to surge forward and were awarded a penalty flick late in the first half, duly converted by the experienced Ricky Powley.

The second half brought more of the same pressure from Dragons but to no avail and Damien Ives pulled off some great saves when needed.

Norwich Dragons III beat Harleston Magpies VII 5-0 in Division 5NE with goals from Adrian Kemp (2), Matt Jenkins, John Ives and Will Kirby.

Norwich Dragons IV won 6-1 at Norfolk Nomads in Division 6NE thanks to goals from Dave Thornton (2), Andy Key, Chris Harrison, Michael Whitmore and Rob Jenkins.