Medal joy for Norwich hydroplane racer
Norwich hydroplane racer Julian Codling, who regularly competes on Oulton Broad, secured a bronze medal in the UIM World 0250 hydroplane championships held in Finland last weekend.
The 46-year-old, who was the only British competitor at the event, travelled to Hirvensalmi and battled it out with racers from five other nations including Finland, Germany, Italy, Lithuania and Sweden in his bid to become world champion.
The competition, which ran over two days, consisted of four heats with the best three results to stand in the championships.
In the first heat Germany's Rene Behncke took the lead with Codling hot on his heels but in the second the Brit had to settle for third place behind Italy's Salvatore Chiuri as Behncke won again.
Mechanical problems saw Codling unable to finish the third heat after a throttle cable broke which meant he had to place well in the last heat to be in with a chance of a medal.
You may also want to watch:
Behncke once again took the lead but Codling held his nerve to take second and secure a bronze medal overall.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 6 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 7 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 8 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 9 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 10 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk