Norfolk star Sophie McKinna finishes outside medal positions at world championships
- Credit: AP
Norfolk shot putter Sophie McKinna finished outside the medal positions at the World Athletics Championships in Doha.
The 25-year-old had risen to the occasion with a superb qualifying performance, but was up against it after the first round when her throw of 17.99 metres left her 11th of the 12 finalists.
She failed to improve in the second round, throwing 17.85 and saw her hopes of a medal end with a third throw of 17.68 which left her outside the top eight.
However, the Great Yarmouth and District AC athlete will be delighted to have made an impression in Doha where she became the first British woman to qualify for the shot put final in 36 years.
On the way she set a personal best throw of 18.61m in qualifying and her finishing position of 11th in the world was an outstanding performance.
You may also want to watch:
China's Lijiao Gong led from the first round to take gold, with a best throw of 19.55m.
- 1 Family tribute to caring and loving Norwich man who was 'one of a kind'
- 2 Teenage girl seriously sexually assaulted near rail track
- 3 Man in 20s among further Covid deaths at Norfolk hospital
- 4 Talented teen baker set to open cake shop in town centre
- 5 Motorcyclist, 17, dies after crashing into lamp post
- 6 MP moves to reassure public as film crew hires out village homes
- 7 The Norfolk market town that used to be in Suffolk
- 8 Destructive stink bugs could be heading for Norfolk
- 9 Plea for a solution after raw sewage floods family's garden
- 10 'Not in a religious village!' - Residents' shock at drug squad swoop