McKail brace enough to put Blofield through

NORFOLK SENIOR CUP: Downham Town were the biggest casualties of the Norfolk Senior Cup third round after the Ridgeons League Division One were dumped out by Blofield United.

Blofield – who are currently flying high in second place in the Anglian Combination Premier Division – were 3-1 winners at the Recreation Ground.

A brace from Daniel McKail and one from Chris Holmes put them into the next round.

Swaffham Town are also out, losing 3-1 at home to fellow Ridgeons League First Division side Thetford Town.

Fakenham were 3-2 winners at Hempnall Town, after extra-time with the Ghosts' goals coming from Sam Garner, Matt Gilcross and Karl Pask, while Iain Mills and James Daniels were on target for Hempnall.

Anglian Combination Premier League pace-setters Mattishall were beaten 2-1 at Loddon United, whose goals came from Myles Clarke and Stephen Wise.

Premier League bottom side Spixworth were thumped 4-0 at Division One Bradenham Wanderers – whose goals came from Gavin Norman (two), Stuart Woodcock and Karl Bush.

Most Read

Fellow strugglers Wymondham Town lost 3-0 at Division One Holt United, who had Shaun Steed, Kevin Moore and Billy Edwards to thank for securing their place in the next round.

Cromer Town lost an all-Premier Division battle, going down 2-0 at home to Norwich St Johns, whose scorers were Luke Tuttle and Matthew Racher.

At Shoemakers Lane, the hosts started well, Will O'Brien – returning to the side after a trip to Australia –coming close in the fourth minute, but his shot was deflected over the Thetford bar.

The opening goal came on 21 minutes when a ball played in from the right was headed away, but returned with interest into the bottom right corner.

It should have been two, threee minutes later, Dean 'Rocky' Mayes saving brilliantly from a Thetford penalty.

However, a scramble from the resulting corner provided the chance to make good.

The Pedlars battled on and hope was restored in the 30th minute when Dwayne Hockton floated a shot which beat the keeper at the back post.

Swaffham applied pressure in the closing stages of the half, but it was absorbed by the visitors, the best opportunity coming when O'Brien played a free kick into the box, and Jackson was unable to steer the ball goalward, his effort going wide of the post.

The second half saw chances come and go for both sides, but Thetford's crucial third goal came in the 59th minute, after a second penalty award, and although goalkeeper Mayes managed to get a hand to the ball, the shot was too strong and Thetford – who have won all eight of their league games this season – went through.