Matt Blake’s brace keeps heat on Ridgeons League leaders as Wroxham win

Matt Blake scored twice as Wroxham remained within touching distance of Premier Division leaders Ely on Saturday with a 2-0 victory at Hadleigh.

After beating Ely on Tuesday, the Yachtsmen stayed two points behind the Cambridgeshire side with two games in hand.

Nine-man Ely recovered from their midweek setback with a 4-2 win at bottom side Great Yarmouth.

Goals from Andre Costa and Charlie McAra came too late to save the Bloaters, after Ely had two players sent off in the first half but still moved into a 4-0 lead.

Diss completed the double over CRC as they recorded their fifth successive league win.

The only goal of the game came in the 55th minute, when Stuart Garner's free-kick was headed in by Jamie Speller.

It stretched Diss' unbeaten run to six games and they have only conceded one goal during that period. The winning run has coincided with the return to the club of striker Stuart Jopling and Tangerines boss Rob Taylor said: 'He has added the experience that we needed up front and had we had him in our squad earlier in the season we would have been much higher in the table. We were never in any trouble against CRC.'

Most Read

Norwich United suffered a 3-1 home defeat against Felixstowe & Walton United.

The visitors took the lead on 29 minutes and went further in front four minutes into the second half. The Planters, who had Andrew Claydon back after a long injury lay-off, went close to pulling one back when Jon Lovelock's header hit a post. Lovelock eventually found the net six minutes from time with a header, but Felixstowe grabbed a third in the 90th minute.

Inconsistent Gorleston showed the worst side of their character as they slipped to a 4-0 home defeat against Walsham-le-Willows.

The visitors took the lead on the half hour mark and doubled their advantage just before the break.

Two more goals early in the second half completed a miserable day for the Greens.

Ryan Crisp and Michael Tacon were on target as Kirkley & Pakefield ended a run of three games without a win by beating Newmarket 2-0.

Wisbech Town were handed a second successive defeat as they travelled to Stanway Rovers. Lewis Thompson scored for the Fenmen.

In the First Division, Thetford remain top on goal difference after their 3-1 win at Cambridge University Press. Matt Dixon netted twice for Thetford and Nathan Szyszlyk was also on target.

They remain locked together on points with Godmanchester, who won 2-0 at home to Fakenham.

Swaffham secured a 1-0 derby win against Downham, Joe Jackson scoring the only goal in the 81st minute to atone for an earlier penalty miss.