Magpies rue missed opportunity after Cheshunt comeback
Dereham Town spurned a three-goal lead at home to high-flying Cheshunt as the Magpies had to settle for a draw, writes Rene Kendal.
Dereham made a great start when Joe Gatting volleyed home from 20 yards after a defender had misguided a header into the striker's path in the second minute.
Cheshunt almost got back on level terms in the 19th minute with Jason Hallett heading James Thomas' centre from the left wide at the far post.
Dereham responded with Danny Beaumont and David Hinton combining to send Jackson Ramm down the left who sent over a dangerous cross from the byline. Minutes later Rhys Logan headed home Gatting's pullback but the goal was ruled out for offside. However, the Magpies soon increased their lead when Hinton found Vadim Costandachi on the right and his low centre was guided home by Will Sainsbury-Logan from close range with 29 minutes gone.
Dereham were dominating and netted a third in the 35th minute when Danny Beaumont slammed home from point-blank range after receiving Logan's centre.
You may also want to watch:
Cheshunt pulled a goal back in added time when striker Jason Hallett scored with a 20-yard drive following a quick break. The Ambers reduced the deficit further in the 66th minute. After keeper Viner had saved Billy Jones' initial shot the ball came out to substitute Tom Bruno who unleashed an unstoppable 25-yard drive.
Dereham came close when Sainsbury-Logan fed Gatting who volleyed over the top from 16 yards. Harley Black was introduced and missed a great chance when his attempted chip sailed wide when faced with only Gooch to beat.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 7 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
The visiting keeper then made a superb save to turn aside Gatting's fierce drive.
Cheshunt drew level in the 87th minute as Jason Hallett volleyed home despite appearing to use his arm to control the ball.
Dereham: Viner, Costandachi, Ramm, Linford, Eastoe- Smith, Sommerfield, Logan (Smith 74 (J Grant 94)), Hinton, Gatting, Sainsbury-Logan, Beaumont (Black 80). Subs not used: C Bussens, D Frary.
Cheshunt: Gooch, Clemons, Fletcher (Bruno 45), Kizzi, Kendal, Iiisey (Heather 45), Kalu, Milburn (Hope 71), Jones, Thomas, Hallett. Subs not used: A Bolle, J Nzenzo.
Referee: P Quick