Magpies enjoying their away days

Dereham Town midfielder Ryan Hawkins. Picture: Ian Burt

Dereham Town midfielder Ryan Hawkins. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

Dereham recorded their fourth successive away win with another hard-working display in a 2-0 win at Thamesmead Town.

The Magpies started at a high tempo, with Ollie Willis and Ryan Hawkins prominent on the right.

Toby Hilliard found space and fired wide from 20 yards before Aaron Kay tried his luck from a similar distance, but home keeper Vincent Mansanet saved with ease.

Thamesmead started to brighten, with Robert Carter forcing keeper Andy Wilton to save his effort from outside the box after Derek Duncan had cushioned a header into his path.

The hosts threatened again with Sean Roberts dispossessing Lewis Sturman before having his shot charged down.

After Thamesmead went close from a corner, Craig Bussens saw his 20-yarder palmed on to the bar by Mansanet before the keeper blocked Hawkins' close-range effort from the rebound in the 31st minute.

As Dereham pressed again Bussens was denied from point-blank range, but as play switched ends Thamesmead's Rashid Kamara drilled a long-range effort on to Wilton's left post.

Most Read

After the restart home keeper Mansanet beat Hawkins in a chase for a through ball before Michael Clunan twice shot off target.

Wilton was called into action again, saving superbly to keep out Ryan Golding's angled drive.

The breakthrough came on 66 minutes when Luke Tuttle played a fine ball out to Hawkins on the right and the talented midfielder progressed before turning inside and beating the keeper with a low left-foot drive.

Three minutes later Dereham doubled their lead when Hawkins turned provider, delivering a deep cross from the right towards the unmarked Bussens, who headed home from close range.

In added time Hawkins had another effort cleared off the line as Dereham finished comfortable winners.

Dereham: Wilton, Willis, Blake-Tracy, Clunan, Sturman, Morphew, Hawkins, Kay, Hilliard, Tuttle, Bussens. Subs: Greenslade, Mason, Upton.

Referee: P Yates.

Att: 50.