Lynnsport hosts historic gymnastics event
The Gymnastics Centre at Lynnsport hosted the Norfolk County Championships for Acrobatics Gymnastics and Tumbling on Sunday.
Gymnasts from both King's Lynn Gymnastics Club and the Chermond Club of Norwich battled it out for the prizes in the first County Championships for several years – a sure sign of the ever-increasing popularity of the sport.
In addition to the main event there were competitions for the under-eights, giving younger gymnasts their first chance to feel the atmosphere at a big competition.
There were several outstanding performances on the floor, including that of Chermond's Sophie Aldous and Sophie Holdback, who took gold in the Grade 1 Women's pairs with a score of 25.50.
Other highlights were Laura Ladbrooke, Kayla Slater and Cara Ellaway of Chermond scoring 25.95 in the Grade 2 Women's Groups, and the gold medal performance of King's Lynn's Grade 3 Women's Pair Lin Ling and Dong Ting Xu with a score of 52.25.
You may also want to watch:
In the tumbling there were some equally high scores with Dong Ting Xu (King's Lynn) in the Girls National Grade 2 Age 9-10, Natasha Rushbrooke (Chermond) Girls National 3 Age 13+, Harry Bassett (King's Lynn) Boys National Grade 2 Age 9-10 and Luke Winner (King's Lynn) Boys Elite 2 Age 13-14 all catching the eye.
Perhaps the top highlight was the elite tumbling involving British Open champion (age 15-16) Kai Nicholson and British Open (age 13-14) silver medallist Daniel Corbyn, both from King's Lynn, competing.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 10 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
Many of the gymnasts will next be taking part in the National Development Program regional 'Prelim' competitions next month with the aim being to qualify for the national finals in May.
Both clubs welcome aspiring gymnasts of all ages and abilities. Go to www.chermond-gymnastics.net, email@example.com or www.lynnsport.com for details.