Lynnsport hosts historic gymnastics event
The Gymnastics Centre at Lynnsport hosted the Norfolk County Championships for Acrobatics Gymnastics and Tumbling on Sunday.
Gymnasts from both King's Lynn Gymnastics Club and the Chermond Club of Norwich battled it out for the prizes in the first County Championships for several years – a sure sign of the ever-increasing popularity of the sport.
In addition to the main event there were competitions for the under-eights, giving younger gymnasts their first chance to feel the atmosphere at a big competition.
There were several outstanding performances on the floor, including that of Chermond's Sophie Aldous and Sophie Holdback, who took gold in the Grade 1 Women's pairs with a score of 25.50.
Other highlights were Laura Ladbrooke, Kayla Slater and Cara Ellaway of Chermond scoring 25.95 in the Grade 2 Women's Groups, and the gold medal performance of King's Lynn's Grade 3 Women's Pair Lin Ling and Dong Ting Xu with a score of 52.25.
You may also want to watch:
In the tumbling there were some equally high scores with Dong Ting Xu (King's Lynn) in the Girls National Grade 2 Age 9-10, Natasha Rushbrooke (Chermond) Girls National 3 Age 13+, Harry Bassett (King's Lynn) Boys National Grade 2 Age 9-10 and Luke Winner (King's Lynn) Boys Elite 2 Age 13-14 all catching the eye.
Perhaps the top highlight was the elite tumbling involving British Open champion (age 15-16) Kai Nicholson and British Open (age 13-14) silver medallist Daniel Corbyn, both from King's Lynn, competing.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 5 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 6 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 7 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 8 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
Many of the gymnasts will next be taking part in the National Development Program regional 'Prelim' competitions next month with the aim being to qualify for the national finals in May.
Both clubs welcome aspiring gymnasts of all ages and abilities. Go to www.chermond-gymnastics.net, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.lynnsport.com for details.