Lynn are firing on all cylinders

King's Lynn continued their fine run of form with a 1-0 win over Worthing in the FA Trophy and are now battling on three fronts - they are top of the Southern League Premier Division and are also one game away from the FA Cup first round proper.

Worthing 0, King's Lynn 1

King's Lynn continued their fine run of form with a 1-0 win over Worthing in the FA Trophy and are now battling on three fronts - they are top of the Southern League Premier Division and are also one game away from the FA Cup first round proper.

For their first ever visit to Woodside Road Worthing for today's tie in the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy the Linnets had new signing Steve Melton on the bench together with Grant Cooper who returned to the squad following injury.

Left out from the starting line up in the FA Cup tie at Halesowen last week was Michael Frew who also reverted to the bench. Charlie Defty kept his place in the centre of defence as a reward for his previous competitive displays.

Lynn were looking for a continuation of their FA Cup form in a competition where traditionally they haven't performed well, having gone out last year at the first hurdle to AFC Wimbledon.

Lynn gained an early free-kick that was taken by Smith which skipper Mark Warren headed just wide.

Most Read

McMahon found West whose cross was headed goalwards by Nolan to force an early save from Banks.

A Nolan back heel then set up Jack Defty but again Banks was equal to the shot. Moments later the Worthing number six Douglas was cautioned for a foul on Notman.

On 10 minutes a fine header by West from Adam Smith's corner was headed off the line by Fraser. Lynn, as befits their recent form, had started positively and looked dangerous in every attack. Worthing's first effort saw a dangerous ball form Lawley just elude centre forward Watson.

Lynn took the lead on 19 minutes with Smith finding Nolan whose trickery made room for a left wing cross which Jack Defty headed down for Rob NORRIS, playing instead of the injured O'Halloran, to shoot home from a narrow angle

It was his first goal for the club to give the Linnets a well deserved lead. Marshall had his first touch after 25 minutes when he saved a tame header from Lawley.

Nolan then tried his luck from distance but only scored a direct hit on a bedroom window situated behind the goal. McMahon put Smith away on the Lynn left but his driven cross was cut out at the expense of a fruitless corner.

On 40 minutes Norris forced a corner, which was taken by Smith, and Defty forced another fine save from Banks as he tipped his header over the bar.

Another Smith centre caused further problems for the home defence but two defenders scrambled the ball clear.

Just before the interval Marshall was called upon to make his first save when in a rare home attack Knee produced a shot from across by Davies, which the keeper saved in style.

Early second-half action saw Michael Frew, on for Jack Defty, make a neat turn and force Banks into a diving save.

Lynn were playing some nice build-up football but needed to be more clinical with their finishing. A quick break put Nolan in but after beating his man his finish was tame.

Worthing broke down their left flank and Warren had to concede the corner from which Marshall missed his punch but West was on hand to clear off the line for another corner from which Rogers headed wide.

An injury to Marshall caused a lengthy stoppage and then on the restart the Lynn keeper had to be alert to palm away Knee's effort.

A poor clearance by Banks gave Notman a long range chance to lob at goal but the keeper recovered to gather the ball. From a Worthing free kick Marshall was grateful to find the ball settling in his gloves. A lot of stoppages for injuries and substitutions broke up the play and stopped the flow of the game.

On 73 minutes Lynn brought on Cooper for Charlie Defty, who went off with a leg injury as had earlier happened to West who was replaced by Melton making his debut.

A long kick by Marshall was headed on by Notman to Frew who was stopped at the cost of a corner. Again play was brought to a long halt this time for an injury to Smith.

A final Lynn attack saw Frew get away on the left flank and his cross to Nolan was cut out by a last-ditch clearance by a Worthing defender.

Due mainly to the numerous stoppages play had been nowhere near as entertaining as in the first half and it was a relief to all when referee Lamer finally brought matters to a conclusion but still Lynn have made progress to the second qualifying round to continue their fine cup form.

King's Lynn: Marshall, West, Smith, Warren, C Defty, Camm, J Defty, McMahon, Notman, Nolan, Norris. Subs: Cooper, Melton, Fry, Higgs, Frew.

Worthing: Banks, Lutwyche, Joseph, Rogers, Andrews, Douglas, Davis, Fraser, Watson, Lawley, Knee. Subs; Carr, Metcalf, Harrison, Brotherton, Alexander.

Referee: Mr Colin Lymer (Woking).

Attendance: 278