Luton 36, Diss 14
Todd Wishart was taken to hospital after suffering a freak injury as Diss failed to make it four wins on the trot in London 1N.
The winger went down in agony after a collision with a Luton opponent and it eventually transpired that he had suffered what is known as a Lisfranc fracture to his left foot. The rarely seen and extremely painful injury, which involves metatarsal bones becoming detached, will require an operation – and a lengthy period of recuperation.
'It was a strange one,' said coach Phil Sharpe. 'It wasn't immediately obvious what had happened and it was only when we took his boot off very carefully that we realised he had suffered some serious damage.
'Todd was taken to a local hospital and was later transferred to Norwich where he will be having an operation.
'Having looked at it again on video it was a complete accident – no blame can be attached to the Luton player, it is just one of those things that can happen in rugby.'
You may also want to watch:
Diss were still in the game when Wishart suffered his injury late in the first half, but Luton pulled away after that, with the visitors' thoughts perhaps still with their stricken colleague.
All Diss' points were provided by Chris Beaird, who scored a breakaway try to reduce the arrears in the second half and also slotted over three penalties.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
Diss are at home to bottom side Rochford Hundred on Saturday.