Lowestoft & Yarmouth 38, Braintree 22

Lowestoft and Yarmouth notched their second five-point win of the season in an exciting and good quality match against a young, fit and eager Braintree team.

In glorious sunshine the game was destined to be open and fast and neither side disappointed the good sized crowd.

As the home team applied the early pressure, Dave Tiueti missed a drop goal attempt before Braintree poached the first points when winger Glen Whyatt pounced for an unconverted try after a cruel bounce.

L&Y were showing their superiority at the breakdowns and when they won a free-kick just outside the Braintree 22, Steve Adams charged forward, Russ Wilkinson and Tom Port cleaned out and Chapman, Tiueti and Marc Thomas worked 17-year-old Tyler Beales into the corner for his third score in two games.

Braintree kicker Joss Adams and Tiueti exchanged penalties before, on the half hour, McAlone was able to finish off some swift handling by Scott Nelson and Tiueti for L&Y to reach the break 13-8 ahead.

You may also want to watch:

Tiueti added another superb penalty from distance and then missed a sitter a few minutes later after Braintree were marched back for dissent.

Another dissent penalty marched the visitors back to within 10 metres and Nelson took full advantage by quickly tapping and plunging through for a third try, converted by Tiueti.

Most Read

L&Y were well in control and two gilt-edged chances went begging before Howell was eventually given room to score the fourth bonus try on the left by another well-constructed attack.

Braintree clawed back a second try from Whyatt after a powerful shove snatched a ball against the head. Another lapse in concen-tration allowed the winger to bag his hat-trick shortly afterwards and Adams brought the visitors to within six points.

However, the Essex team were still having discipline problems and although Tiueti missed with a penalty he was immediately given a second easier chance after more backchat. He took it gratefully and L&Y finished with a flourish. Man of the match Port made a charge down the left and when the ball was recycled across the face of the posts, Nelson bluffed and touched down for his second score with Tiueti converting.

'When we get the ball in our hands we look dangerous, but we've still got work to do with concentration and organisation in defence,' said captain and head coach Scott Nelson. 'The best bit of today was the positive attitude and great teamwork. '

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter