Margate 1 Lowestoft Town 0: Trawlerboys slip to another defeat despite brave display

PUBLISHED: 13:30 04 February 2018 | UPDATED: 13:30 04 February 2018

Dale Brooks' Lowestoft Town side were well beaten at leaders Billericay. Picture: Shirley D Whitlow.

Dale Brooks' Lowestoft Town side were well beaten at leaders Billericay. Picture: Shirley D Whitlow.

Shirley D Whitlow

Lowestoft Town’s visit to Margate saw the Trawlerboys more than match their third placed hosts before going down to a single goal defeat.

So for the second time in a week Dale Brooks’ threadbare squad returned home with much praise from their hosts but with no points on the board.

With Rossi Jarvis ruled out by his midweek injury, Rory McAuley returned in the centre of defence with Adam Smith taking a midfield role.

Playing on Margate’s new 3G pitch, Lowestoft took time to settle and were close to falling behind after just 5 minutes. Travis Cole slipped on the artificial turf to allow Jordan Chiedozie a run at goal but he was denied by an excellent Ben Dudzinski full length save.

Those early minutes saw Lowestoft come under a fair amount of pressure but the defence with Rory McAuley outstanding held firm to restrict the home side to long range efforts.

Lowestoft seem to come to terms with the surface and started to play the ball around well and on the half hour Jake Reed and Harvey Hodd carved out a great opening for Shaun Bammant who saw his shot cleared off the line by Liam Friend with Matty Foy’s follow up also cleared off the line by Tom Wynter.

Lowestoft were now looking the more likely to score and as the interval approached Jacek Zielonka moved inside to send a shot inches wide of the upright.

Early in the second period Foy was just off target with another great chance for Lowestoft before Margate took the lead on the hour mark. David Martin wriggled past Dan Humphries on the left and clipped the ball into the middle where Chiedozie rose to head in off the underside of the bar.

Lowestoft responded and were close to an equaliser as Smith’s free kick saw another McAuley header cleared off the line. Lowestoft too rode their luck on occasions and in the 66th minute after another Chiedozie header came out off the bar there was an almighty scramble which saw half a dozen shots blocked on the line by Dudzinski and his teammates before the ball was finally cleared.

Lowestoft pressed forward to the end and a final minute free kick saw all but Dudzinski in the Margate penalty area but all to no avail.

Margate: Pidgeley, Simpson, Wynter, Rogers, Friend, Esseman, Haysman (Sub May 75), Prescott (Sub Blackman 65), Chiedozie (Sub Bodkin 90), Collin, Martin. Subs not used: Lee, Fitchett

Lowestoft Town: Dudzinski, D Humphries, Barker, Smith, McAuley, Cole, Hodd, Zielonka, reed, Foy, Bammant. Subs not used: Machaya, Wren, Langdale, Putnins

Referee: Mr G Heron

Attendance: 530

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press