Lowestoft Town win Suffolk Premier Cup

Lowestoft Town 4, Bury Town 2: Lowestoft Town finally picked up some silverware as reward for arguably their best-ever season thanks to a deserved victory over rivals Bury Town at Portman Road.

They put the disappointment of missing out on promotion to Blue Square Bet South following Monday's play-off final extra time defeat at AFC Hornchurch behind them to lift the LB Group Suffolk Premier Cup.

Their first success in the county's premier cup competition since 2008/09 came courtesy of two goals in each half.

After a bright opening with half chances at both ends, Bury Town striker John Sands chased onto a powerful header forward in the 18th minute and went over just outside the penalty area following a challenge by Scott Mitchell.

Referee Alan Dale adjudged that Sands had taken a dive and duly booked him, and within two minutes Lowestoft took the lead in bizarre fashion. Lubo Guentchev's dangerous delivery from the right saw Bury keeper Marcus Garnham punch the ball clear only for it to rebound off his centre back Sam Nunn and loop agonisingly into the net.

Bury missed a heaven sent opportunity to restore parity just two minutes later when Sam Reed's shot on the turn struck the arm of Greg Crane, but Billy Clark's well-struck spot kick was superbly blocked by Andy Reynolds.

Bury did equalise on the half hour when Sam Reed pulled the ball back to Sands who delayed before squeezing his shot just inside the far post.

Most Read

But Lowestoft regained the initiative five minutes later, Andrew Fisk dummying Joe Francis' precise pass to allow Dale Cockrill to supply an equally precise finish into the bottom corner for a picture goal.

Lowestoft looked the more likely side to score in the opening stages of the second period and they put the result beyond doubt with two goals in two minutes from Chris Henderson.

He sprinted onto Cockrill's ball over the top of the defence to sidefoot beyond the exposed Garnham in the 72nd minute, and then latched on to Michael Frew's through ball, skipped round Garnham and passed into the empty net.

Bury did reduce the deficit in the 90th minute, Mark Coulson's cross striking the outstretched arm of Crane and Lee Smith dispatching the penalty down the middle via Reynolds' trailing right leg.

Lowestoft Town: A Reynolds, D Sinclair (sub E Okay 78 mins), S Ainsley, A Fisk (sub A Forbes 89 mins), G Crane, S Mitchell, L Guentchev (sub R Eagle 85 mins), D Cockrill, M Frew, C Henderson, J Francis. Unused subs: J Godbold, J Forshaw.

Bury Town: M Garnham, R Short, M Coulson, J Kennedy (sub C Kearns 80 mins), S Nunn (sub C Nurse 90+2 mins), R Hipperson, L Smith, J Sands, S Reed, L Reed (sub K Leabon 80 mins), B Clark. Unused subs: S Fenner, C Hall.

Referee: A Dale (Ipswich).

Attendance: 1,224.