Lowestoft Town can look forward to new year after Gainsborough win
- Credit: James Bass
Joint manager Ady Gallagher feels Lowestoft Town can begin the new year in good spirits after finishing 2014 on a high.
A comfortable 2-0 win against Gainsborough at Crown Meadow yesterday moved the Trawlerboys up to 15th in the Conference North table.
Gallagher said the manner of the victory shows his team are well on track to ensuring they stay at step two of the non-league pyramid.
'I couldn't be more pleased with the boys at the moment, they've put in a great shift, they put in a great shift the other day without any reward (losing 5-3 at Boston) so we'll go into the new year in a really positive frame of mind,' the Blues joint boss said.
'We probably haven't taken as many chances as we should have done but it was satisfying to get a clean sheet and the win.
You may also want to watch:
'Given the fact that we've had two games in three days, that's a fantastic effort from the lads and we actually looked quite strong at the end.'
The victory leaves Lowestoft on 27 points from 23 games, with Boston set to visit Crown Meadow on New Years' Day, hot on the heels of that 5-3 thriller on Boxing Day.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 8 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 9 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 10 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
'You've got to target 40 points to be safe at this level, there's never any guarantee but we had 24 points at the halfway stage so I was very pleased with that,' Gallagher continued.
'Given that we've had so many injuries, it was great to be in that position, we can't relax in any game, if you relax against teams at this level they make sure you pay for it.
'So it's important that we just keep working really hard and just keep chipping away and get what we can from each game.
'It's not easy, our pitch isn't exactly fantastic, it's like a ploughed field and it doesn't make it easy for us to play flowing football but we'll just keep scrapping away and I'll be a lot more relaxed when we hit 40 points.
'But I do really feel it's not just about our surviving at this level, it's about us trying to establish ourselves at this level really.
'We're going in the right direction, if we can get a couple of players back and maybe add one or two then I really do think we can be comfortably established at this level.'