Lowestoft Town boost National League North survival chances after vital win over Worcester City

Vanarama National League North football action between Lowestoft Town and Worcester City. Danny Crow

Vanarama National League North football action between Lowestoft Town and Worcester City. Danny Crow scores for Lowestoft.PHOTO: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Lowestoft Town took a huge step towards securing their National League North status as they came from behind to record a precious victory over Worcester City, at Crown Meadow.

It has been a season of ups and downs for the Blues and this was no different as they gave themselves a mountain to climb after falling behind after just four minutes. But they soon equalised through Danny Crow before a late Connor Deeks strike secured a vital three points.

The result saw Lowestoft move out of the league's relegation zone and with fellow stragglers Brackley and AFC Telford playing out a 0-0 draw, the Blues ended the night two points clear of the bottom three with a game in hand on Brackley.

With the stakes high and the table tight at the bottom of the National League North neither side could afford to make mistakes, but after just four minutes the Blues gifted the lead to the after Ben Killip failed to clear a bouncing back-pass.

The on-loan Norwich City keeper, playing his third game in just four days, sliced his clearance to the feet of Lee Hughes who calmly rolled the ball into the back of the Worcester net.

After a nightmare start alarm bells were ringing for Lowestoft but six minutes later Crow levelled things up for the hosts after steering the ball past Nathan Vaughan who had spilt Joe Marsden's shot at the feet of the former Norwich striker.

Worcester City responded well, winning the game's first corner after 16 minutes with Lowestoft struggling to deal with the visitors' experienced front duo of Hughes and Kyle Perry.

Most Read

Neither side were able to create a sustained spell of pressure in a scrappy first half and it was the hosts who were quickest out of the traps after the break, as they enjoyed their best spell of the game ,including back to back corners floated into the area by Crow which City struggled to deal with.

The game started to open up around the hour mark as both sides looked to capitalise on each other's mistakes. The hosts' best chance to take the lead fell to Michael Spillane with 20 minutes to play, but he could only head Jarvis' inswinging free-kick wide of the target from six yards.

Spillane's miss looked to be fatal seconds later when Jordan Murphy was allowed time and space to pick out Perry inside the six yard box after 74 minutes, but the striker headed the ball into the ground from a testing angle. With nine minutes to play Deeks came up with a goal worthy of winning any game when he chipped the ball over the top of two Worcester defenders before bringing it down and slotting past stopper Vaughan from close range.

Kiliip make amends for his early mistake as he produced an excellent save to deny Worcester an equaliser, courtesy of Hughes in stoppage time and a bad night got worse for Worcester when Daniel Nti was sent off for a second caution.

Lowestoft travel to Tamworth this weekend, knowing they can't afford to be put to slaughter by the Lambs, like they were when they suffered a 4-0 thrashing when the sides met at Crown Meadow in October.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter