Lowestoft Town 5 Concord Rangers 0

Lowestoft Town were in superb form to inflict a 5-0 hammering over Concord Rangers at Crown Meadow on Saturday afternoon.

As soon as the irrepressible Lubo Guentchev opened the scoring from close range in the 13th minute there was little doubt that the Blues would go on to secure all three points.

Michael Frew bagged himself a brace before half-time before strike partner Matt Nolan headed home after a great cross from Andrew Cave-Brown early in the second period.

It was fitting that Guentchev ended the scoring with his darting runs off the right flank a constant thorn in the side of the Rangers' back four.

Lowestoft should have been in front as early as the third minute when Sam Gaughran somehow headed over from two yards out after an excellent delivery from Adam Smith.

It was one-way traffic in the first period and the Blues had another golden opportunity to open the scoring in the 13th minute when Frew sprung the offside trap, latching on to a slide-rule pass from Nolan. With just goalkeeper Dale Brightly to beat Frew dragged his effort wide and Concord could breath again.

Lowestoft almost lived to regret Frew's miss a minute later when David Adedepi got free down the right flank and pulled the ball back for the onrushing Collins on the edge of the box but Andy Reynolds made a fine reaction save and was up quickly to foil Harry Elmes, who threatened to pounce on the rebound.

Most Read

It was perhaps the wake-up call Lowestoft needed against their clearly inferior opponents and, shortly after, Frew opened the scoring.

Frew's run in behind the Rangers' defence was spotted by Smith and the striker crossed for Guentchev, who had come in from the right wing, to score at the second attempt after his first effort was blocked by a defender on the line.

Guentchev should have had another on the half-hour mark after Nolan's header came back off the post but the former Hendon man blazed over.

Lowestoft didn't have to wait too much longer though to double their money and once again it had its origins in the Smith-Frew understanding. Frew's run in behind was spotted by the full-back and the former Corby man did the rest with a confident finish past Brightly.

A minute later and it was effectively game over as Guentchev got to the by-line and cleverly squared the ball to Frew who sidefooted home from close range.

It was merely a matter of how many Lowestoft could rack up in the second half and in the 57th minute Nolan got in on the act with a close-range header after a wonderful cross from Cave-Brown.

The striker, who endured such an injury ravaged campaign last season, then turned provider when he unselfishly played in Guentchev for a tap-in after a great cross by Jamie Godbold.

Elmes should have grabbed a consolation for Rangers late on but somehow headed wide when it looked easier to score.

Lowestoft Town (4-4-2): Reynolds, Cave-Brown, Mitchell, Gaughran, Smith (Okay 62), Guentchev, Fisk, Ainsley, Henderson (Godbold 58), Frew (Forshaw 78), Forbes. Subs not used: Forbes, Francis.

Concord Rangers (4-4-2): Brightly, Miller, White, Halle, Noone (Dunbar 62), Adedepi (Campbell 65), Cowley, Coyne, Collins, Subuola (Dudley 81), Elmes. Subs not used: Okai, French.

Referee: Andy Aylott

Attendance: 701