Lowestoft Town 3 Leiston 0

A superb second-half display saw Lowestoft Town ease to victory over 10-man Leiston at Crown Meadow.

A lacklustre first half sprung to life when Jack Cawley was shown a red card for an X-rated challenge on Danny Cunningham and the Blues took full advantage of their extra man in the second period.

Substitute Michael Frew opened the scoring with a fine finish just after the hour mark and Bradley Woods-Garness' first goal since a summer move from Canvey Island doubled the Trawlerboys' advantage.

Robert Eagle put the seal on a fine afternoon's work, firing home from the edge of the area after being found by Chris Henderson.

Lowestoft reacted to their 2-1 reverse at Hornchurch by handing a rare start to Cunningham in place of Frew and the winger certainly made his mark in the first half.

Cunningham's delivery from set-pieces caused the visitors problems early on before Joe Francis' poor challenge on Sam Gaughran midway through the half set the tone for what was a niggly first period.

Leiston looked comfortable in possession without causing much alarm to Lowestoft's back four but the home side were lucky to keep 11 men on the pitch in the 37th minute when Cunningham reacted to a heavy challenge by Matt Lock by kicking out when both were on the floor.

Most Read

The referee consulted with his assistant before brandishing a yellow card to the midfielder, who could easily have been dismissed for his retaliation.

Leiston were not afforded the same leniency a minute before the break when Cawley saw a straight red for a lunge on Cunningham and suddenly Lowestoft looked in the driving seat.

Despite the football taking a back-seat for much of the first half Lowestoft starting to have a bit of quality on the ball early in the second period and Woods-Garness had a smart drive whistle just past Phillips' upright within a minute of the restart.

But Leiston had a glorious chance soon after when Heath made a rampaging run through the midfield before feeding a pass through to Lock who, despite only having Jones to beat, pulled his shot inches wide.

Leiston would rue that missed opportunity just after hour mark when Frew got the all-important opening goal after a wonderful breakaway.

Heath's corner was headed away by A Smith and Lowestoft flooded forward with purpose. Woods-Garness played an inch-perfect pass in behind Leiston for Frew to run on to and the former Corby man held off the attention of Rhys Henry before slotting home.

Lowestoft could have wrapped up the points shortly after but Woods-Garness snatched at a decent chance and Henderson was unable to divert his effort into the net.

The former Canvey Island striker wouldn't be denied though and sealed victory in the 74th minute with a clever finish with the outside of his right-foot from 10 yards after being teed up by Erkan Okay.

Eagle made sure of the points with a left-footed drive after his burst forward from midfield was found by Henderson.

- Lowestoft Town (4-3-3): Jones, J Ainsley, Gleeson, Gaughran, S Ainsley (Frew 59), Okay, Eagle, L Smith, Henderson, Cunningham (A Smith 54), Woods-Garness (Otobo 81). Subs not used: Tarawali, Viner.

- Leiston (4-3-3): Phillips, Saker, Tann, Jefford, Cawley, Boardley, Lock, Heath, Ruel (Crisp 56), Francis (Ottley-Gooch 82), Henry (Barrett 82). Subs not used: Dugdale, Webster.

- Referee: Nick Cooper

- Attendance: 653