Lowestoft Town 3 Boston United 0 – Blues down high-fliers to leave Gallagher and Brooks smiling

Jake Reed, right, found the net for Lowestoft on Saturday. Picture: MATT WILKINSON/FOCUS IMAGES

Jake Reed, right, found the net for Lowestoft on Saturday. Picture: MATT WILKINSON/FOCUS IMAGES - Credit: Matt Wilkinson/Focus Images Ltd

Lowestoft turned the form book upside down with a solid 90-minute display to gain a well merited victory over high-flying Boston, writes Terry Lynes.

The hosts had been putting in some much improved displays in recent weeks and with Ady Gallagher having the all too rare luxury this season of naming an unchanged starting line-up, the Blues started the game in confident style.

Pressing the Pilgrims from the start, Lowestoft received a stroke of good fortune after just four minutes. A left-wing corner to beyond the far post was knocked back into the danger zone and Boston striker Mark Jones, in attempting to clear, could only send his diving header into his own net.

Lowestoft continued to press and a Harry Barker free-kick ended with Shaun Bammant's header being turned around the post. Their early pressure paid off again in the 14th minute as Boston failed to deal with another corner and Michael Spillane drilled home from 12 yards.

Without leading scorer Dayle Southwell, National League North play-off hopefuls Boston carried little threat. In an attempt to liven things up, they made three changes at the break but even that couldn't stop the Trawlerboys from being in control.

Ryan Jarvis converted a Bammant flick on but his effort was ruled out for offside. The reprieve was relatively short-lived though as the third goal arrived in the 53rd minute. A long ball from Spillane caught the Boston defence flat-footed and Jake Reed raced clear to lob the ball over Heinrich Ravas.

Lowestoft continued to dominate – in a display that left Gallagher and his assistant Brooks smiling – a strangely lethargic Boston side with Robert Eagle beginning to see a lot of the ball as he supported the front runners. He was twice denied by defensive blocks and the Blues' rearguard was even more impressive as it wasn't until the 83rd minute that Ben Killip was forced into his first real action.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter