Lowestoft Town 2, Swindon Supermarine 1

FA TROPHY THIRD QUALIFYING ROUND: Super sub Jamie Forshaw came off the bench to grab a dramatic injury time winner for Lowestoft Town and seal their passage into the first round proper of the FA Trophy against Swindon Supermarine.

It looked like the two sides would have to do it all over again on Wednesday evening after Joe Francis' first half opener was cancelled out by Ben Wells but Forshaw had other ideas.

The former Norwich City academy product, who replaced Danny Bloomfield just before the hour mark, showed his predatory instinct in the 91st minute by slamming the ball home after Francis' shot was parried into his path by visiting goalkeeper Will Puddy.

The scenes of jubilation at the end indicated just how much it meant to the Blues squad but it didn't look like there would be such a happy ending for long periods.

Lowestoft were distinctly second best in the first half as Swindon Supermarine won all their personal battles although after some harsh words from the Blues' management team they looked a different side after the break and just about merited the victory.

You may also want to watch:

Lowestoft looked shaky at the back in the opening stages and an uncharacteristic mistake from Curtis Haynes-Brown almost gave the visitors a dream start.

The former Sudbury man underhit a back pass back to Andy Reynolds and Marine striker, Ashan Holgate, was on to it in a flash but, fortunately for the Blues, Reynolds was off his line quickly to smother the danger.

Most Read

Lowestoft should have got their noses in front after just four minutes when Joe Francis played an excellent give-and-go with Danny Bloomfield before pulling the ball back for the onrushing Dale Cockrill but the midfielder slid wide from eight yards.

The Blues had a scare of their own after eight minutes when Jamie Gosling rose well to head a corner against the bar while his striker partner, Holgate was causing all kinds of problems for the defence.

Swindon Supermarine looked the more assured in possession on the bobbly playing surface but Lowestoft went in front against the run of play in the 20th minute when Bloomfield played a clever ball through ball for Francis who blasted home at the near post.

The Blues' lead lasted less than 60 seconds however and the Lowestoft management team would have been tearing their hair out at the nature of the equaliser.

Just when Lowestoft should have been looking to consolidate their lead a long ball forward found Ben Wells, who displayed a deft touch to take him past Crane, before coolly rolling the ball past Reynolds.

Swindon continued to look the more confident side without creating many clear-cut opportunities while Lowestoft simply couldn't get going.

However, the hosts should have had two penalties before half-time when Lee McGlone was hauled to the ground by Leigh Henry but only referee Brian O'Sullivan will know the reason why he failed to point to the spot when Cockrill had his legs taken away from him inside the penalty area by Dave Bampton.

The referee waved away Lowestoft's protests and such was the home bench's sense of injustice that O'Sullivan had to stop the game to calm them down.

Lowestoft finally started to show the kind of form the Crown Meadow faithful have come to expect in the second period, enjoying the lion's share of possession and forcing Marine to sit deeper.

Only a fantastic save by Puddy prevented McGlone from making it 2-1 after good work by Jamie Godbold and the tie looked set to peter out into a replay before Forshaw's intervention.

The diminutive striker had worked tirelessly since his introduction to find the breakthrough and his industry was rewarded in injury time when he followed up Francis' fearsome strike from the edge of the area to calmly slot home.

• Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Cave-Brown (Godbold, 32 (Woodrow, 90)), Crane, Haynes-Brown, A Smith, Mitchell, Ainsley, Cockrill, Francis, Bloomfield (Forshaw, 57), McGlone. Subs not used: Gaughran, Clark.

• Swindon Supermarine: Puddy, Lapham, Henry, Bampton, Robinson, Wells, Taylor, Allen (McKay, 80), Stanley, Gosling (Cook, 67), Holgate (Hopper, 84). Subs not used: Horgan, D Allen.

• Referee: Brian O'Sullivan

• Attendance: 622

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter