Lowestoft Town 2, Kirkley & Pakefield 0 - Blues aided by former Norwich City midfielder Robert Eagle

Former Norwich City midfielder Robert Eagle's second minute strike helped Lowestoft Town ease into the last four of the Suffolk Premier Cup against neighbours Kirkley & Pakefield last night.

Blues director of football Craig Fleming revealed the club wanted to take a look at the winger and he did his chances of earning a permanent contract no harm by blasting Lowestoft into the lead after just two minutes.

The Trawlerboys toiled for much of the contest to find another way through a stubborn Kirkley rearguard but in injury time Michael Frew made it 2-0 with a close range strike after a fine pass from Jamie Godbold.

Eagles' early goal false dawn for the Blues, who struggled to find any tempo for most of the half although Eagle showed some nice touches whilst 16-year-old Harvey Hodd, making his Blues debut, looked the most likely to add to Lowestoft's lead.

On the stroke of half-time the young midfielder was unlucky with a right-footed piledriver from 25-yards that Kirkley goalkeeper Jordan Smith was pleased to see whistle just over the bar.

You may also want to watch:

Unfortunately, that was about as good as it got for the Trawlerboys in the first period while Kirkley didn't look like a side playing two levels below Lowestoft.

Hodd's evening came to a premature end at the start of the second half when he picked up a knock although the Lowestoft faithful will have been pleased to see Jamie Godbold get his first run-out since returning from a loan spell at Gorleston.

Most Read

Stuart Ainslie was also given some match time and came close to doubling Lowestoft's lead with a smart effort from the edge of the box that flashed wide.

Kirkley boss Paul Tong tried to inject a bit of devilment into his side by introducing Kyle Baker and the striker almost made an instant impression when he danced past Gaughran to go through on goal. However, luckily for Lowestoft, Jessup had spotted the danger and was quickly off his line to foil the danger.

The Royals certainly looked the more likely to score in the closing stages and Jessup had to produce an excellent save to deny Dominic Smith late on when the skipper went clean through.

But Lowestoft made sure of their place in the semi-finals when Frew latched on to Godbold's threaded pass and poked the ball past Smith.

• Lowestoft Town (4-4-2): Jessup, Halliday, Gaughran, Crane, Manning, Forshaw (Frew, 73), Fisk, Hodd (Ainsley, 56), Eagle, Nolan, Onuchukwu (Godbold, 56). Subs not used: Guentchev, Henderson.

• Kirkley & Pakefield (4-5-1): Smith, Bond, Cole, Herbert, Bell, Grint, Catchpole, Kirby, Kerslake (Baker, 67), Block (Scriven, 87), Smith. Subs not used: Guentchev, Henderson.

• Referee: Darren Stobbart

• Attendance: 399

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter