Lowestoft Town 0 Worthing 4: Bad day at the office for Blues

Lowestoft's Harry Barker challenges a Worthing player for the ball. Picture: Shirley D Whitlow

Lowestoft's Harry Barker challenges a Worthing player for the ball. Picture: Shirley D Whitlow - Credit: Archant

It was a bad day at the office for Lowestoft Town as they were well beaten in their first ever meeting against Worthing.

What was even more worrying was Chris Henderson and Travis Cole joining the list of casualties.

Already without the suspended Jake Reed and injured Shaun Bammant, Lowestoft selected Ryan Jarvis and Henderson as the two front men.

However, all the pre-match planning went out of the window after just two minutes with Henderson pulling up sharp with a pulled hamstring when chasing into the area, Jamie Forshaw substituting.

There was little of note in the opening quarter. The first real chance fell to Forshaw who was played through by Harvey Hodd but his shot was parried away by Jack Fagan.

You may also want to watch:

Worthing took the lead in the 26th minute with a goal of sheer brilliance. Lloyd Dawes received the ball about 12 yards out with his back to goal. Controlling the ball with his chest he turned sharply flicking the ball over the head on his marker before volleying the ball home.

Lowestoft tried to hit back with Frazer Blake-Tracy feeding Rossi Jarvis but his shot was straight at the keeper and moments later Harry Barker's 20-yard effort was superbly palmed away by Fagan.

Most Read

There was almost a second for Worthing as the first half came to an end but Omar Bugiel clipped the ball past Jamie Waite but just wide of the upright. Although chances were still few and far between Worthing took advantage of theirs to add a further three goals. In the 56th minute a right wing corner by Brannon O'Neill was met by Bugiel but blocked by Waite only for Jack Cook to steer the loose ball into the net.

Worthing added their third in the 65th minute with Dawes getting the better of Barker before cutting in along the by-line and pulling the ball back to the edge of the area where Kane Wills threaded the ball through a forest of legs into the net.

Just three minutes later Cole who had taken a knock on his ankle early in the game received another hefty knock which saw him taken off on a stretcher.

It summed up Lowestoft's afternoon in the 85th minute. Lowestoft's best attack of the game saw Hodd's 20 yard drive come back off the crossbar and the ball switched straight to the other end where Zak Newton curled the ball round Waite for the visitors' fourth goal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter