Lowestoft Town 0 Metropolitan Police 1: Blues left scratching head after latest defeat

Andrew Fisk tries to take control of the Lowestoft midfield against Met Police. Picture: SHIRLEY D W

Andrew Fisk tries to take control of the Lowestoft midfield against Met Police. Picture: SHIRLEY D WHITLOW - Credit: Archant

Once again Lowestoft Town were left wondering how they had suffered another defeat with visitors Metropolitan Police getting their first ever victory over the Trawlerboys.

They also had to play the last 25 minutes with 10 men after Jake Jessup was controversially sent off.

Lowestoft were without the injured Frazer Blake-Tracy and Harvey Hodd and Chris Henderson hit by a sickness bug but gave a debut to last minute loan signing Nico Cotton from Southend United.

The diminutive winger made an instant impact on the game getting in a snap shot which the sprawling Brannon Daly saved. Cotton then turned Sam Williams before laying the ball back to Andrew Fisk whose shot curled just wide of the far post.

It was all Lowestoft at this stage but as their initial impetus fell Metropolitan Police stunned them with their only attack of note in the first half putting them ahead.

You may also want to watch:

With 31 minutes on the clock a free kick from the far left by Roman Michael-Percil saw Rob Bartley take advantage of hesitation in the Town defence to nip in and head into the back of the net from six yards.

Undeterred Lowestoft pressed forward and both Cotton and Jake Reed were inches away from an Adam Smith free kick. A partial clearance fell to Ryan Jarvis whose instant volley went straight at Daly.

Most Read

The second half started in much the same manner with Lowestoft striving to get back on terms.

Smith was becoming a key figure as the Trawlerboys were awarded a succession of free kicks from which Rossi Jarvis saw his header bounce out off the upright and Travis Cole send one header looping onto the roof of the net and another into the side netting.

You started to get the feeling it was not going to be Lowestoft's day when the Police should have moved two goals ahead midway through the second half.

The Town defence were caught on the break and as Michael-Percil raced into the penalty area he was brought down by the diving Jessup for a clear cut penalty which saw the Town keeper sent off.

After a lengthy delay while Lowestoft brought on substitute keeper Jamie Waite in place of Fisk the Town custodian saved Michael-Percil's spot kick with the winger blazing the rebound high over the bar.

With a man advantage the Police did come more into the game and squandered a couple of reasonable chances but as the game came to an end it was still Lowestoft on the offensive with substitute Jamie Forshaw seeing his shot blocked in front of goal.

Lowestoft: Jessup, Barker, Smith, Fisk (Waite 65), Cole, Mcauley, Ryan Jarvis, Rossi Jarvis, Reed, Bammant, Cotton (Forshaw 87). Subs not used: Docherty, Amisi, Miles.

Metropolitan Police: Daly, Williams, Salmon, Sutherland, Robinson, Bartley, Robertson (Mugabo 76), Hickey, Macklin, Smith, Michael-Percil (Collins 83). Subs not used: McLaughlin, Tarr, Nurse

Referee: Mr D Appleby

Attendance: 443

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus