Lowestoft Town 0 Curzon Ashton 0 – Trawlerboys set for tense end to season

Vanarama National League North football action between Lowestoft Town and Curzon Ashton (red) Danny

Vanarama National League North football action between Lowestoft Town and Curzon Ashton (red) Danny CrowPHOTO: Nick Butcher - Credit: Nick Butcher

Lowestoft went into this game knowing that three points would be instrumental in the fight to retain their Vanarama National League status but on a wet and windy afternoon they had to settle for just a single point when held to a goalless draw.

Their cause was not helped by being deprived of four key players sidelined through injury – defenders Harry Barker and Adam Smith and strikers Jake Reed and Shaun Bammant – with three Academy lads on the bench.

In far from ideal conditions the game made a slow start with both sides moving the ball around but failing to penetrate areas where they could cause problems.

The first real chance fell to Lowestoft when Danny Crow's free-kick picked out Harry Kyprianou but the centre-back's looping header fell wide of the upright.

Andrew Fisk and Joe Marsden combined down the right but the latter's drive crashed into the side netting. Curzon were in the main being restricted to long-range shooting but one such effort from Connor Hampson flew too near the post for comfort.

You may also want to watch:

As the half drew to a close the hosts started to press and Chris Henderson went past two defenders only to see his shot hacked clear from in front of goal.

Lowestoft thought they had taken the lead on the stroke of half-time as Crow headed a Henderson cross over the keeper but the effort was ruled out. It would seem that the Curzon keeper was injured in the incident because he was replaced at the start of the second half, which followed a similar pattern to the first with few real chances created at either end.

Most Read

With just over the hour played the Blues sent on Robert Eagle to replace Dean Mason and for the first time started to put some concerted pressure on the visitors' goal. The move almost paid instant dividends as Crow's corner fell to the substitute who, with virtually his first touch, volleyed the ball over his shoulder but inches wide of the target.

A Henderson cross saw Eagle clip the ball just the wrong side of the post before the Trawlerboys again rued their luck as Rossi Jarvis' header from Crow's corner hit the bar and bounced clear. Eagle had certainly put some life into the Lowestoft attack and saw another effort saved low down by the post by Cameron Mason.

In the final action it was Ben Killip who saved a point for Lowestoft as he pounced on a loose ball in the six-yard box through a sea of boots just as the final whistle sounded.

With nearest rivals Brackley picking up a point at Gloucester City the draw was not enough to lift Lowestoft out of the relegation zone, although Ady Gallagher's side still have a game in hand.

Lowestoft Town: Killip, Marsden, Kyprianou, Fisk, Spillane, Rossi Jarvis, Mason (Eagle 62), Deeks, Ryan Jarvis, Crow (Nyadzayo 86), Henderson, Unused subs: Garrod, Bishop, Putnins

Curzon Ashton: Burton (Mason 46), Flynn, Hampson, Hunt, Shaw, Rowney, Wright, Brown, Cummins (Cockerline 78), Tomsett, Brooke, Unused subs: Woodford, Lowe, Warburton

Attendance: 477

Referee: Mr C Pollard

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter