Lowestoft’s Craig Poxton misses out on European title glory after epic battle
- Credit: PA
Craig Poxton's bid for European glory came to a bloody end on Saturday night – but the man from Lowestoft left the ring with his head held high.
Poxton was beaten on points by Lyon Woodstock in their WBO European super-featherweight title clash in Leeds.
The 28-year-old suffered a terrible cut above his right eye in the second round after a clash of heads, but his corner worked minor miracles and Poxton managed to get through 10 torrid rounds, the two men standing toe-to-toe and trading punches in a contender for fight of the year.
Poxton, the Southern Area super-featherweight champion, started well, showing no signs of being overawed by the occasion – nor the growing reputation of his 24-year-old opponent.
But his dream was almost over in the second round, with referee Steve Gray calling a time-out to examine the cut. The fight continued – and it proved to be a cracker. Poxton was the better man over the first half of the fight, but Woodstock came on strong in the latter stages.
You may also want to watch:
There was little in it at the end, with the judges scoring it 98-93, 97-95 and 97-93 in Woodstock's favour.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 3 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 4 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 5 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 8 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 9 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 10 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing