Blues are left seeing red as Lowestoft’s new boss rues lack of good fortune
- Credit: Archant
Little went right for Lowestoft Town as they dropped valuable home points and finished the game with just nine men.
New boss Dale Brooks will be without Jake Reed and Travis Cole after both saw red.
Brooks included loan signing Matty Foy, from Cambridge United, in the starting line up, but was without the suspended Jacek Zielonka.
There was a sign of things to come as early as the seventh minute with Kane Haysman's low cross flicked goalwards by Jordan Chiedozie, but saved by Ben Dudzinski.
However, Lowestoft were creating the better chances, with Callum White feeding Reed, who pushed his effort wide. The same pair combined again and from the full-back's cross Foy was just wide of the upright. The best chance fell to Sam Borrer from Andrew Fisk's shrewd pass, but Lennie Pidgeley was off his line quickly to save.
You may also want to watch:
Margate went ahead on 38 minute, somewhat against the run of play – White was caught in possession deep in his own area and in the scramble that following Haysman prodded the ball home.
In the second period Fisk again split the Margate defence, picking out Reed whose shot flashed just wide of the target. Haysman headed over for the visitors, while at the other end Adam Smith was narrowly wide from a direct free-kick and Foy's rising drive was pushed over the bar.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 10 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
But Town's hopes suffered a blow on 68 minutes when Reed was sent off – having been fouled he petulantly threw the ball into the face of his opponent.
And any slim hopes disappeared in the 77th minute when Cole followed, having brought down Jordan Chiedozie in the area with the big striker getting up to convert the spot-kick.
Despite the defeat, Brooks will take heart from a performance which showed a lot of character whilst getting little in the way of good fortune.
Lowestoft: Dudzinski, White, Smith, Cole, Barker, McAuley, Fisk, Jarvis (Bammant 73), Reed, Foy (Greenleaf 80), Borrer, Subs not used: Hodd, Wren.
Margate: Pidgeley, Bodkin (Wynter 72), Mills, Rogers, Friend, Swift, Haysman, Prescott, Chiedozie (Enver-Marum 80), Collin, May (Martin 72), Subs not used: Brown, Stannard.
Ref: G Laflin. Attendance: 358