Lowestoft Town 1 Brightlingsea Regent 2: Blues fail to match visitors
- Credit: Archant
There was little New Year cheer as the Trawlerboys struggled to match their hard-working visitors.
Lowestoft manager Dale Brooks was again forced to changing his starting line-up, with Rossi Jarvis injured and Nico Cotton unavailable. Having completed his suspension Rory McAuley returned to the defence with Harvey Hodd coming into midfield.
There was almost a sensational start with Brightlingsea going close after a mere 21 seconds when striker Billy Hunt was given a clear opening but rolled his shot across goal and just wide of the far post.
There was another great opening for the visitors inside the opening 10 minutes with Hunt's flick releasing Rob Harvey who shot straight into the arms of Ben Dudzinski.
Lowestoft took the lead against the run of in the 19th minute: Harry Barker's cross from the left was headed back across the face of the goal by Shaun Bammant for Hodd to score with a rare header.
Lowestoft came close to a second when Jacek Zielonka's corner was met by the head of Travis Cole and keeper Harry Palmer needed two attempts to save.
But it was all square in the 29th minute with a goal that would grace any game at any level. Ricky Griggs made ground down the right before swinging a superb pass to Aaron Condon on the other flank. His immediate cross was met on the volley by Hunt with the ball screaming into the roof of the net.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 4 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 5 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 6 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 7 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 8 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 9 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 10 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk
Brightlingsea's tremendous work rate was preventing Lowestoft from having any time to settle on the ball and it was this that led to Brightlingsea's winner in the 53rd minute. Possession was lost 30 yards out allowing Harry McDonald to home in on goal and although Dudzinski parried his shot, Hunt hit home the loose ball.
Lowestoft: Dudzinski, Humphries (Nyadzayo 69), Barker, Smith, McAuley, Cole (Wren 90), Hodd, Zielonka, Reed, Foy, Bammant, Sub not used: Putnins
Brightlingsea Regent: Palmer, Griggs (Taylor 82), Jake Gould, Love, Josh Gould, Cripps, Harvey, Newland (Dunningham 68) Hunt, McDonald, Condon (Fosker 85), Sub not used: O'Connor
Ref: M Morrison. Att: 341