Lowestoft legend’s personal letter to Alex Neil secured testimonial tie with Norwich City
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Micky Chapman has revealed how a personal letter to Norwich City manager Alex Neil paved the way for his testimonial against the Canaries on Tuesday.
Supporters have their first opportunity of the summer to see Norwich when they go to Lowestoft Town next week as Neil prepares his side for the Championship challenge ahead.
But it will also be a chance for Lowestoft supporters to pay tribute to club legend, Chapman, who retired as manager of the Trawlerboys last year, ending a 33-year association with the Blues.
The Blues have wanted for some time to give 'Mr Lowestoft' an appropriate send-off and Chapman revealed how he got the ball rolling with the Canaries.
'Lowestoft had said how they wanted to do something special for me and with the chairman (Gary Keyzor) having enough to do I wrote to Alex Neil personally. I just asked if he would consider sending a Norwich City first team to play Lowestoft for my testimonial and it all started from there.
You may also want to watch:
'That was back in October time. Norwich got in contact with Lowestoft and it all got sorted. It's such an honour for me and I'm really looking forward to it.
'Lowestoft and Norwich are my teams – they're in my heart.'
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 10 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life