Lowestoft leave it too late to find their form
Wingate & Finchley 2, Lowestoft Town 1: Lowestoft suffered their first defeat of the season in the Ryman league Premier Division after a below-par first half display at Wingate & Finchley on Tuesday night.
The hosts moved ahead in the seventh minute when a pass dissected the Lowestoft defence and Leon Smith took the ball around keeper Andy Reynolds to slot home.
Wingate doubled their advantage in the 24th minute with Murat Karagul netting from close range after Lowestoft had failed to clear.
The visitors' best attempt of the first half was a Matt Nolan header which was well saved by a diving Bobby Smith in the home goal.
Lowestoft upped the tempo in the second half with Smith again saving well to deny Jamie Forshaw.
You may also want to watch:
Wingate continued to look dangerous and Reynolds had to be alert to tip over a rising drive from Mark Henry.
Lowestoft pulled a goal back in the 74th minute when Lubo Guentchev crossed from the right for substitute Michael Frew to net with a diving header.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 10 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
Despite their best efforts, Lowestoft were unable to find an equaliser in the closing minutes.
• Lowestoft: Reynolds, Cave-Brown, Smith, Mitchell, Crane, Gaughran, Guentchev, Fisk, Nolan (Forbes), Forshaw (Frew), Francis (Henderson). Subs not used: Ainsley, Okay.