Lowestoft close in on 100 points mark
Brentwood 0, Lowestoft Town 2: Lowestoft Town remain on course to break the 100 points barrier after they came away from their penultimate fixture of a triumphant campaign with a well deserved victory last night.
Brentwood 0, Lowestoft Town 2
Lowestoft Town remain on course to break the 100 points barrier after they came away from their penultimate fixture of a triumphant campaign with a well deserved victory last night.
The champions were too good for mid-table Brentwood, with goals in either half from Scott Mitchell and Craig Bussens settling the issue, and they will now be aiming to keep up the good work when they take on Tilbury at Crown Meadow on Saturday.
Lowestoft took the lead after 24 minutes when a good move involving Joe Francis and Matt Nolan ended with Mitchell firing home from all of 30 yards.
You may also want to watch:
They then had a golden opportunity to make it two just before the break when Nolan was brought down in the area, with Brentwood's Junior Luke sent off in the melee that followed the award of the spot-kick.
Unfortunately for the Blues Nolan's penalty was saved by keeper Nick Pyne, but they dusted themselves down and proceeded to dominate for long spells against the hosts' 10 men.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 10 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
It was no surprise therefore that they doubled their advantage on 70 minutes, Nolan setting up Bussens to sidefoot home and set up what promises to be a memorable afternoon on Saturday, when Lowestoft will be presented with the Rymans League Division One North trophy.
Lowestoft: Reynolds, Plaskett, Smith, D Cockrill, Holt, Potter, Godbold (Bussens 64), Fisk, Nolan (McGhee 83), Francis, Mitchell (Forshaw 73). Subs not used: Bloomfield, Halliday.