Lowestoft close in on 100 points mark
Brentwood 0, Lowestoft Town 2: Lowestoft Town remain on course to break the 100 points barrier after they came away from their penultimate fixture of a triumphant campaign with a well deserved victory last night.
Brentwood 0, Lowestoft Town 2
Lowestoft Town remain on course to break the 100 points barrier after they came away from their penultimate fixture of a triumphant campaign with a well deserved victory last night.
The champions were too good for mid-table Brentwood, with goals in either half from Scott Mitchell and Craig Bussens settling the issue, and they will now be aiming to keep up the good work when they take on Tilbury at Crown Meadow on Saturday.
Lowestoft took the lead after 24 minutes when a good move involving Joe Francis and Matt Nolan ended with Mitchell firing home from all of 30 yards.
They then had a golden opportunity to make it two just before the break when Nolan was brought down in the area, with Brentwood's Junior Luke sent off in the melee that followed the award of the spot-kick.
Unfortunately for the Blues Nolan's penalty was saved by keeper Nick Pyne, but they dusted themselves down and proceeded to dominate for long spells against the hosts' 10 men.
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 7 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 8 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 9 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 10 Car carrying six children not wearing seatbelts caught on A47
It was no surprise therefore that they doubled their advantage on 70 minutes, Nolan setting up Bussens to sidefoot home and set up what promises to be a memorable afternoon on Saturday, when Lowestoft will be presented with the Rymans League Division One North trophy.
Lowestoft: Reynolds, Plaskett, Smith, D Cockrill, Holt, Potter, Godbold (Bussens 64), Fisk, Nolan (McGhee 83), Francis, Mitchell (Forshaw 73). Subs not used: Bloomfield, Halliday.