Lowestoft boxer Anthony Ogogo eyes Norwich show after title bout
- Credit: PA
Anthony Ogogo will finally get his wish of fighting in Norfolk later this year – as long as he can win his first belt in Birmingham on Saturday.
The 27-year-old takes on Craig Cunningham for the WBC International Middleweight title this weekend and, if he wins, a date has been pencilled in at the Norfolk Showground on December 17 for a homecoming fight.
Ogogo, who has registered 10 straight wins since turning professional in 2013, would take on Elliott Matthews at the Showground in an eliminator for a British title shot next year and would put his belt on the line if he beats Cunningham.
The Olympic bronze medallist has also promised Norwich City goalkeeper John Ruddy that he can lead out his ringwalk later this year.
But Ogogo knows he must take care of business against Cunningham first.
You may also want to watch:
'I've got to win on Saturday – if I don't win on Saturday then all the plans go out of the window,' said Ogogo. 'But we've been working on a date of December 17 at the Norfolk Showground.
'I've wanted to box at home in Norwich since I turned pro but if I don't win this weekend then it won't happen.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 4 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 5 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 8 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 9 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 10 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
'I think it's time the big boxing events came back to Norfolk – it's been ignored for too long.
'I've already told John Ruddy that he can carry my belt into the ring. He's come to a lot of my fights and he's been a really big supporter of mine. He's absolutely buzzing about it.'