Lowestoft boxer Anthony Ogogo announces his return to the ring
- Credit: AP
Anthony Ogogo will make his return to the ring later this month at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow.
The 27-year-old's opponent is yet to be named for the fight on Saturday, May 28 but it is a major boost for the Lowestoft middleweight after a 10-month absence from the ring.
Since turning professional Ogogo has been blighted by injuries with the Olympic bronze medallist dislocating his shoulder during his last outing in Germany against Ruslan Schlev in July, 2015.
But Ogogo, who also had to undergo two bouts of surgery on both his Achilles before the shoulder problem, insists the injuries are finally behind him.
'I'm incredibly excited to be added to the May 28 card in Glasgow live on Sky Sports and cannot wait to get back in the ring,' said Ogogo, who has won all eight of his fights so far, four by knockout. 'It's been a difficult period for me as I've worked hard to recover from the shoulder injury I suffered in my last fight but I am now fully fit and raring to go.
You may also want to watch:
'I want to thank Eddie Hearn, Kalle and Nisse Sauerland and Golden Boy Promotions for giving me the opportunity to fight in Glasgow and am looking to make a real statement of intent. I want to keep as busy as I can during 2016 and am determined to make a major impact in the middleweight division – starting on May 28.'
Ogogo is now co-promoted by Golden Boy Promotions as well as Sauerland, which should allow him to be busy on both sides of the Atlantic.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
'We are excited to see Anthony back in the ring. With his injuries now behind him, we're sure he can become a dominant force in the division,' said promoter Kalle Sauerland. 'He's been training hard and has kept his focus so we're looking forward to seeing how he performs. There are a lot of big fights out there for him, but first, he must get a good win under his belt.'
Golden Boy chairman and CEO, Oscar De La Hoya, believes Ogogo has the chance to finally make a big impact in the middleweight division.
'The talent pool in the middleweight division is the deepest it has been in decades – and now that Anthony Ogogo is healthy, we fully expect him to be a major force in the weight class for years to come,' said De La Hoya. 'With an Olympic pedigree and action-packed style, Anthony is sure to keep fans on the edge of their seats.'
Ogogo's return will be on the undercard of Ricky Burns' bid to become a three division world champion when he takes on Michele Di Rocco for the vacant WBA Super-Lightweight World Championship.