Lowestoft and Yarmouth 42, Enfield Ignatians 0

After three successive league losses, Lowestoft and Yarmouth finally snapped out of the doldrums and produced a performance full of drive and determination.

Enfield maintained a constant threat but were no match for the pressure and heart of the L&Y team who returned to the form that brought them bonus point victories in their first three games. Every player had a good day at the office and with all the key senior players, like Chris Howe, Marc Thomas, Russ Chapman captain Scott Nelson and Dave Tiueti directing others in a clear strategy, the result was never really in doubt.

Particularly pleasing was the form of two young debutants Lewis Cook on the wing and 18-year old Martyn Greenwood at loosehead prop.

The first quarter was a close affair with Enfield dominating territory but unable to breach a vastly improved L&Y defensive effort. After 17 minutes Tom Port took a line-out ball and after a few phases and a strong driving maul, Thomas broke off to score and Tiueti bagged the difficult conversion. He added a penalty a few minutes later but Enfield came back with a good attack and Thomas was sent to the bin for knocking down a pass.

Tiueti, Callum Cashman and Howe were all making charges over the gainline and, to the 14-man L&Y side's great credit, they worked their way back into the Enfield 22 where Tyler Beales almost made it to the corner after good work by Matt Howell.

Enfield failed to capitalise on their advantage and, immediately after Thomas' return, a rumble down the right had the defence reeling and when Chapman passed left Nelson dummied and strolled under the posts for a 17-point lead into the break.

From the restart, a great tackle and turnover by Steve Adams allowed Thomas space to break down the left and when the ball moved right Tiueti found a couple of forwards in front of him and he burst through to touch down under the posts. Worn out from his efforts he missed the conversion, but made up for it 10 minutes later by converting a penalty.

Most Read

On 65 minutes Miles McAlone's tackle forced a loose ball which Cashman snaffled up and cantered under the posts for the all important fourth try. Nelson bagged his second try five minutes from time after a blind side move from a scrum. Tiueti added the conversion and also bagged a last minute penalty to take his personal tally to 22 points.