Deeks on the spot as Lowestoft stretch unbeaten run
- Credit: Archant
Lowestoft Town extended their unbeaten run to six games with an excellent win.
Banbury started at a brisk pace and were looking for an early breakthrough as the Trawlerboys struggled to retain possession. The lively Ravin Shamsi and Giorgio Rasulo were seeing a lot of the ball, well supported by Matthew Taylor, but their final cross into the area was ineffective.
Very much against the run of play Lowestoft took the lead in the 19th minute with their first real attack of the afternoon. A quick counter-attack ended with Reed being brought down in the penalty area by Harry Whitehead. Connor Deeks stepped up to hit the spot kick high to Jack Harding's left.
Spurred on by the goal, Lowestoft seemed to grow in confidence and a fine Wilkinson cross saw Adam Tann send a far-post header in to the side netting.
Banbury came back into the game and should have levelled as Taylor's cross fell to Ricky Johnson whose close-range effort was blocked by Elvijs Putnins and from only two yards out Steve Diggins lifted the loose ball high over the bar.
You may also want to watch:
As the first half came to an end Lowestoft enjoyed a spell on top with Hughes' effort from the edge of the area turned around the post by Harding. Reed then beat Harding in a chase for a through ball but after knocking it over the keeper he was beaten to the ball by Charlie Wise.
Lowestoft started the second half better and a Wilkinson free-kick was headed over his own bar by Johnson. Deeks was not far wide from 30 yards and a Josh Curry effort was cleared off the line with Harding beaten.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
Lowestoft: Putnins, Curry, J Wilkinson, Barker, Tann, Cole, Pollock, Deeks, Reed, Fowkes (Fisk 70), Hughes (Smith 79). Subs not used: Wren, Hedge, Bammant.
Banbury: Harding, Taylor, Wise, Shamsi, Hawtin, Hotter, Johnson, Diggin, Henderson, Whitehead (Kaziboni 74), Rasulo, Subs not used: Sambrook, Nash, Awadh, Odhiambo.
Ref: J Crofts. Att: 407