Norwich City loanee Billy Johnson ensures Lowestoft claim a point
- Credit: Archant
Lowestoft needed an inspired performance from on-loan Norwich City keeper Billy Johnson to deny visiting Redditch - who played for 70 minutes with 10 men – in a match which ended goalless.
The first half-chance of the opening period fell to the Trawlerboys with Henry Pollock's low corner flicked up but onto the roof of the net by Ben Fowkes – but very little was seen of the Lowestoft attack for the rest of the half.
Redditch took control of the game and seemed destined to open the scoring when Danico Johnson was played through, but Luca Vega appeared from nowhere with a superb saving tackle.
This started a series of Redditch corners played into the Lowestoft six-yard box which saw first Andrew Parsons blast the ball over from two yards out and then Johnson make an outstanding block from his Redditch namesake with Robert Evans following his skipper's example by blasting the rebound over.
Lowestoft were given a chance to take a grip on the game in the 19th minute when Shaun Bammant got in front of Parsons, who brought down the Town striker a couple of yards outside the penalty area before receiving a straight red card.
You may also want to watch:
The sending-off had little affect as Redditch continued to dominate, with Shaquille Leachman-Whitingham shooting into the side netting and Johnson saving well from Robbie Bunn, Michael Nelson and Leachman-Whittingham in quick succession.
The save of the match came as Leachman-Whittingham created space for himself before letting fly from the corner of the six-yard box – incredibly, Johnson got his fingers to the ball and turned it against the post.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
It was not until the last quarter, after the introduction of Kieran Higgs and Marcus Wilkinson, that Lowestoft started to ask questions, but there was less than 10 minutes left before visiting goalkeeper Reece Francis was called into action to save from Bammant and Pollock.
Lowestoft: Johnson, Curry, J Wilkinson, Smith, Tann, Vega, Schaar (M Wilkinson 78), Pollock, Bammant, Fowkes (Higgs 64), Deeks (Hughes 46), Subs not used: Hedge, Putnins.
Redditch: Francis, Ashmore, Tye, Ali, Parsons, Evans, Nelson (Washbourne 62), Bunn, Johnson (Reynolds 78), Leachman-Whittingham, Batchelor. Subs not used: Sinclair, Wright, Howards.
Referee: P Quick; Att: 332