Long wait over as King’s Lynn Town keep it clean

Gary Setchell. Picture: Matthew Usher

Gary Setchell. Picture: Matthew Usher - Credit: Matthew Usher

King's Lynn Town boss Gary Setchell removed a sizeable monkey from his back as his team kept a clean sheet on the road for the first time this season – and, thanks to a George Thomson strike, recorded a victory as well.

Not since a final-day 3-0 win at Belper Town in early May 2013 – during the Linnets memorable championship winning campaign – had Lynn completed a shut-out.

It is a fact Setchell was clearly pleased to have finally addressed.

'We have been banging on for a time now about clean sheets and now we have finally achieved it,' said Setchell.

'We have defended well in what was an open game at times. I think it would be fair to say that we have controlled the match for long spells and we created six or seven good chances before we took one which, in my opinion, was more difficult than some we had already missed.

'The pitch out there today was very difficult and bobbly and I would think it didn't create much of a spectacle for the crowd.

'However, I am very keen to finish the season on as good a note as we can and this win has cemented our position even more in the top half of the table.

Most Read

'We have now collected seven points from a possible nine in our last three games and it's been a pleasing response following the difficult spell we had endured.'

The match itself had a real end-of-season feel to it as the hosts had already had their relegation from the Premier Division confirmed.

But that didn't stop the visitors quickly getting on the front foot, with Sam Mulready heading over the bar and two Thomson long-range efforts missing their intended targets by inches.

The second half followed in the same fashion as David Bell, a headache for the home defence all afternoon, created a great chance for Andrew Hall, with which he should have done better, and Jordan Yong firing wide after neat build-up play between Thomson and Hall.

Substitute Ewan Clarke's goalbound lob was cleared by an alert Joe Ballinger as the visitors continued to pepper the home goal. Finally, in the 81st minute, the home side's defences was breached as Thomson collected a loose ball inside the area and drove the it past keeper Andrew Jones for the game's only goal.

King's Lynn Town's Reserve side went to the top of the Peterborough League Premier Division when they came from behind to win 2-1 against promotion rivals Netherton United – in front of a 320 crowd.