London 3NE: Norwich 39, Wanstead 6
In the warm spring sunshine Norwich produced their best rugby of the second half of the season, gaining a bonus point win against their closest league rivals to move back into fourth place in London 3NE.
Norwich dominated their visitors throughout the game and took the lead after just two minutes when, after a charged down kick, the ball was spread wide for John Coltman to score the first of his three tries. O'Brien converted.
Following a quiet spell in the second quarter a driving maul resulted in a penalty which O'Brien kicked but this was followed by a penalty to Wanstead from which Casey scored.
As the first half drew to a close Darby was yellow carded for a dangerous tackle and Casey kicked the resulting penalty but Coltman just had time to add his second try before the half ended with Norwich 15-6 ahead.
Towards the end of the third quarter Norwich scored two quick tries. Swift passing gave team captain Wheater an overlap to score an unconverted try which was swiftly followed by a try from Micklethwaite, following a scintillating break by the young Norwich fly-half Parrott, enjoying his best match for the club. The conversion was missed.
You may also want to watch:
Minutes later Coltman scored his hat-trick try after a flowing passing movement involving both backs and forwards.
Ten minutes before the end man of the match Parrott scored under the posts, which O'Brien converted to give Norwich a convincing win which should put them in good heart for the remainder of the season.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 8 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 9 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
- 10 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month