London 3NE: Holt 34, East London 12

Holt secured the London 3NE title with three matches to spare at High Kelling on Saturday when they recorded a comfortable win against an in-form East London side.

The post-match celebrations started on the pitch with the usual spraying of champagne and continued in the clubhouse afterwards.

Holt's win gave them an unassailable 20-point lead, with Stowmarket now second as Harlow lost at Upminster, the only side to ruffle Holt's feathers so far.

All credit must go not only to Holt's squad, which is not the largest, but to coaches Ed Steed and Penny Chapman for producing a side who have believed in themselves to produce a second successive promotion.

They will now be looking to end a superb season on a high note, with a match against Stowmarket among those to look forward to.

You may also want to watch:

Holt soon began to exert pressure and following one of their well executed driving mauls, Hill touched down for the first try of the match after nine minutes. Five minutes later Justice finished off a move with another unconverted try, increasing the lead to 10-0.

The home side did not let up and following more pressure Young scored under the posts following a well judged break. Allen added the points, increasing the lead to 17-0.

Most Read

The opposition tried to take the game to the hosts but after 32 minutes, Holt broke out of defence and following some good passing, Daniel Ilsley scored in the corner, increasing the lead to 22-0. With this fourth try, Holt had earned themselves a bonus point and all they had to do now was to ensure a victory over lively opponents to secure the title.

East London made the early running from the re-start, but after three minutes Jarry-Ryan made an excellent break from well within his half to race up field and looked to have scored.

The opposition had other ideas and managed to hold him up over the line. However, from the ensuing five metre scrum, Justice put his name on the scoresheet again for his second try of the match.

East London still came back at the home side and were rewarded with a well taken try in the corner following a line-out close to Holt's line.

The hosts took the game back into their opponents' half but spoilt chances by giving away penalties, allowing the opposition to take play back into the home side's half.

However after 17 minutes, following a kick and chase up the field, Jarry-Ryan made no mistake with a try under the posts for Allen to convert to increase the lead to 34-5.

East London, to their credit, never gave up and spent most of the remainder of the game testing Holt's defence to the full and by sheer determination were eventually rewarded with a converted try with three minutes remaining.

In the closing minutes Holt went close to scoring another try, but the ball was deemed not to have been grounded properly.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter