London 2NE: Woodford 33, Lowestoft and Yarmouth 15
Woodford clinched a deserved win over Lowestoft and Yarmouth in London 2NE after capitalising on a handful of mistakes in the second half which gave them 25 unanswered points and a flattering scoreline.
L&Y's superior forwards dominated the game in most phases, but while Woodford's concentration in defence remained steady throughout the game, L&Y made four defensive errors out wide and each time Woodford came up with a score from nothing.
The hosts went in front with a try against the run of play early on after a Chris Howe effort had been disallowed. Dan Proctor then barged over under the posts, only to be called back for another forward pass, but shortly afterwards No8 Marc Thomas made ground inside the Woodford 22 from a scrum and from a quick recycle Proctor reappeared off Russ Chapman's shoulder to burst through.
Chapman added the extra points and extended the lead again with a penalty. The visitors continued to press and eventually the defence buckled just before half-time as Callum Cashman cut back off a scrum, wrapped with Nelson and the fly-half found Wayne Beer on the wing for his first senior try.
With the wind in their faces L&Y initially changed tactics well, pinning Woodford back in their half and keeping the ball in hand more than earlier. However the last 30 minutes was all Woodford as they clawed themselves back into the game with two tries, then rubbed salt in the visitors wounds with a fourth bonus point score.
You may also want to watch:
Coach Scott Nelson and captain Thomas were philosophical after the game, knowing they had gifted the win to a limited Woodford side.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 6 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 7 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 8 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 9 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns