Local football round-up: Thetford Town get Thurlow Nunn Premier Division campaign off to perfect start
- Credit: Archant
Thetford Town got their Thulow Nunn League Premier Division campaign off to a flying start after defeating Stanway Rovers 3-1 on the opening day.
The Brecklanders, who are looking to build on last season's impressive seventh-placed finish in the top flight, found themselves behind in the 16th-minute as Jamie Guy scored from the penalty spot.
However, Thetford hit back before the break thanks to Max Melanson's long range effort and that's how it remained at half-time.
Danny White's men had to be patient in the second period but finally got their noses in front 12 minutes from time thanks to Sam Bond's header. Melanson made sure of the three points late on to ensure Thetford's season got off to the perfect start.
It's not looking quite so rosy at Fakenham as Robbie Harris began his second stint in charge of the Ghosts with a disappointing 3-0 defeat at home to Premier Division new boys Coggeshall – Josce Syrett (two) and Connor Hubble got the goals.
You may also want to watch:
In the first division Swaffham got their campaign off to a dream start as Joe Jackson notched four in the Pedlars' 6-1 win over Neednham Market reserves.
James Thompson put Swaffham in front in the ninth minute but the visitors equalised from the spot soon after. Swaffham regained control just before the half-hour mark thanks to Jackson's first of the afternoon as he headed home Nathan Trundle's cross. Jackson made it 3-1 before the break and Alex Vincent put the result beyond doubt in the 60th minute. Jackson completed his hat-trick with a fine volley and rounded off a fine afternoon's work with his fourth late on.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
Wisbech St Mary lost 7-3 at home to Woodbridge Town whilst March Town also didn't get off to the best of starts, going down 3-0 against Holland FC.
Other clubs completed their pre-season programmes as King's Lynn Town turned on the style in a 4-0 win over Gorleston. Tom Siddons put the Linnets in front in the fifth minute with a tidy finish and Craig Parker made it 2-0 from Michael Clunan's pinpoint cross midway through the half. Leon Mettam's double in the second half ensured victory for Ian Culverhouse's men.
Norwich United came from behind twice to beat Felixstowe & Walton 3-2 in their latest pre-season friendly – Lee Wills, Damon Cooper and Adam Hipperson getting the goals for the Planters.