Live bait debate takes new turn
Chris BishopWEST NORFOLK & FENS: Predator anglers in the fens will be following the latest twist to the live baiting debate with interest. Pike Anglers Club officials are seeking talks with Britain's biggest angling club after it outlawed the method without warning.Chris Bishop
Predator anglers in the fens will be following the latest twist to the live baiting debate with interest.
Pike Anglers Club officials are seeking talks with Britain's biggest angling club after it outlawed the method without warning. Environment Agency chiefs agreed predator anglers across England and Wales should be allowed to use limited numbers of fish caught on the day for bait after a three-month consultation any angler could take part in.
But in a statement on its website, Birmingham Anglers Association says it intends to outlaw the practice, as what it calls "a side effect" of other changes.
"After a wide-ranging and public debate over the issue of removing fish from our rivers for any reason, the EA came down firmly on the side of predator anglers whilst greatly increasing the legal protection afforded to most species of coarse fish," said the PAC camp.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a workable compromise we are certain most anglers would be more than happy to live with, judging by responses the EA received, which were published online for anyone to see.
"We are saddened if the Birmingham Anglers Association decides to ignore all of this without even consulting those affected, or considering the bigger picture."
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 5 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 6 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 7 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 8 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 9 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 10 Former village pub for sale as home